Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This is the equipment i am planning to get - any thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
jayaprathap_psg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default This is the equipment i am planning to get - any thoughts?

Guys

I am in Woodbridge, Nj and this is the equipment I am trying to get. I am interested in simple beginner's brewing to start with and then build it from there:

1. Fermenting Bucket(with lid) with Spigot(6.8 gal)
- I dont want to invest in a bottling bucket right now. Thats why i want one with a spigot.
2. 3-piece stopper
3. Hydrometer
4. Floating Thermometer
5. I already have a 4-gal POT(Can i use is as a brew pot?)
6. Hose
7. Bottler.
8. Plastic amber bottles with lid

I think this should be good enough to start with. I am looking to brew using the canned pre-hopped extracts(with corn sugar) and carbonate using corn sugar. I will work my way up from here

any thoughts/suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6133 Times on 5343 Posts
Likes Given: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaprathap_psg View Post

1. Fermenting Bucket(with lid) with Spigot(6.8 gal)
- I dont want to invest in a bottling bucket right now. Thats why i want one with a spigot.
I would strongly recommend getting a fermenting bucket (ale pail). After you ferment in your bottling bucket and spend a ton of time getting the trub out of the spigot, you will thank me

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
jayaprathap_psg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I would strongly recommend getting a fermenting bucket (ale pail). After you ferment in your bottling bucket and spend a ton of time getting the trub out of the spigot, you will thank me
So should I get a bottling bucket also, or can i siphen directly into the bottles?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6133 Times on 5343 Posts
Likes Given: 746

yes. ferment in the ale pail and then siphon into the bottling bucket (leaving as much of your yeast cake behind as possible) when you add your priming sugar. Then bottle

Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, I have heard many tales about the spigot being loaded up with bacteria after setting with beer in it for a month.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Also, I have heard many tales about the spigot being loaded up with bacteria after setting with beer in it for a month.
I've been using a bucket with a spigot for quite a while now for my fermentation vessel without much problems. A lot of people do this with buckets and better bottles.

Most people don't bottle directly from the fermentation bucket since you can't really mix the priming sugar in very well without stirring up a mess of trub. If you are set on bottiling from the fermenter you can use carbonation drops like these (click here). I've never used them but I know people do with good results.

Last edited by feedbag; 09-21-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

I'd get a fermentation bucket, WITHOUT spigot.

And get a bottling bucket WITH spigot.

The spigot is nice when you are dealing with bottling, but completely unnecessary IMO for fermenting. You can then transfer the settled beer into bottling bucket and mix sugar easily without worrying about stirring up yeast cake.

But, with a spigot, you will run into the potential for gross growth in the spigot, so wash it well each time you use it and I have even started taking it apart each time to clean well. I've heard of them leaking a bit after a while, but you only use the bucket long enough to get the beer bottled, so it's no big deal IMO.

A bottling bucket is very much worth the cost. MUCH easier to deal with than adding sugar or carb drops to each bottle and siphoning from primary.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
brewhymn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also think you should have a seperate fermenter from bottling bucket.

Your pot should work. As long as its stainless, aluminum or ceramic (check for any chips in the enamel first howerver).

I would suggest an auto-siphon so you don't have to get put your mouth on it to get the flow going.
other than that have fun!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The thing is, after your primary ferment, you'll want to mix that beer with your priming sugar and you don't want to do that in the primary or you'll stir up all the sediment. That's what the bottling bucket is for. Also, I'd recommend a simple handheld digital thermometer that you can get from Target or Walmart because we read a ton of "broke my thermo in the brewpot" posts.

I personally think prehopped canned kits are just below a good starting point. Get simple extract + steeping grain kits from only places instead.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
DOGBOY
Recipes 

http://www.pronto.com/mpm/shop/beer-kits/p-3/ ,take a look here, some of them even have the beer kits.

Quick Reply