Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > equipment advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
jason1973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default equipment advice

hello,

still researching before buy equipment, I'm a person i never go second rate, and i buy hobby supplies with tomorrow in mind.
plan on getting kettle with valve and thermometer (5gallon)
curious would it be okay for a noob to start with a conical(7 gallon)? or would i be biting off more than i can chew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you can swing a conical for a fermenter, go for it. I would advise a larger kettle, though. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 10 gallon bk. easier to do full volume boils without as much worry of boil over!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you have tomorrow in mind, you should get a larger kettle. 5 gallons is good enough to start with partial boils, but if you intend to make 5 gallon batches of all-grain you will need to boil 6-7 gallons of wort and should get at least an 8 gallon kettle, 10 for a bit more head room.

That said, are there specific reasons you are looking at conicals as opposed to buckets and/or carboys? Check out this sticky before making a decision on that.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on getting a larger BK. You'll have a much easier time maintaining a nice even boil without boil over.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
sirhc1210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the 10gal pot... my 8gal gets pretty full during a full boil and I have to watch it like a hawk and turn the gas on and off until it gets going.

I'd invest in a way to control fermentation temps ahead of a conical. Or do a DIY build for a ferm chamber if you do go with a conical. Buckets /carboys are probally a bit easier to throw into a swamp cooler.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
jason1973
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDeadAsh View Post
If you have tomorrow in mind, you should get a larger kettle. 5 gallons is good enough to start with partial boils, but if you intend to make 5 gallon batches of all-grain you will need to boil 6-7 gallons of wort and should get at least an 8 gallon kettle, 10 for a bit more head room.

That said, are there specific reasons you are looking at conicals as opposed to buckets and/or carboys? Check out this sticky before making a decision on that.
my work area would be limited, so a stand set up on wheels, would allow me relocate rig depending on room temps, and when not in use only have on vehicle to store.

and for person that said have cooling in mind, that why a kettle with valve so can run a cold plate cooler. no prob with bigger kettle but a 5 would fit on my stove, but can just buy a electric burner/hotplate to solve that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
my work area would be limited, so a stand set up on wheels, would allow me relocate rig depending on room temps, and when not in use only have on vehicle to store.

and for person that said have cooling in mind, that why a kettle with valve so can run a cold plate cooler. no prob with bigger kettle but a 5 would fit on my stove, but can just buy a electric burner/hotplate to solve that.
I think the person who said anything about temp was talking about fermentation control, rather than just chilling hot wort. I agree with him. If you are looking to spend the money on a great kettle setup AND some solid fermentation temp control, then go for it. If however, you are doing one or the other, I'd opt to spend some money on fermentation temp control before anything - you'll get better overall results. You can brew beer in a 4 gallon pot on an electric burner and control your ferm temps perfectly and deliver outstanding beer. However, you could brew on a Blichmann top tier and leave the beer to ferment in the changing temps of your basement and have ****ty beer.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

If space is a concern, I'd suggest using buckets. They stack nicely, so you can have more than one and you can put other gear in them when they're not being used. Way more space efficient than a conical. Not to mention far, far cheaper.

I second the suggestion for temperature control as well. An old fridge and a Johnson Controls box will keep you making great beer all year 'round. Also, if you're sizing your kettle to fit your stove, you're going to want to make sure it can bring 5 gallons to a boil. Most won't, or will just barely make it. If you're buying "with tomorrow in mind," most people's tomorrows include moving away from the stove top and into a dedicated propane or elecric rig.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
jason1973
Recipes 

Propane in a balconyless condo, building love that.
My burner big anough for kettle its height concern, microwave hood kind of low.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Hey, I'm just saying that's what most folks do. How am I supposed to know where you live?

Quick Reply