Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Equal Runnings Batch Sparge question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
johnbrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Equal Runnings Batch Sparge question

So if I've read everything correctly, if I increase the volume of my initial masha 'top off'infusion, my batch sparge volume will be under .5 gallons/pound of grains.

Right? Just making sure since I plan to mash about 5 lbs of grain for a mini mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Yes, just don't go over 2 quarts/pound for the mash. I like to mash with about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Assuming you have a 5 pound grain bill, that would be mashing in with 8 quarts of water. You'd "lose" 1 gallon of water to absorption, so you will get out about 1 gallon of runnings. Then you could sparge with a gallon, for equal runnings. Measure the runnings, and take an OG (cool the sample first). Add water to get to your boil volume, and proceed. Once you know your OG, you can figure your efficiency and add the correct amount of extract needed.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
johnbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks. Based on your experience you think I'd lose that much to absorption? I'm thinking of enough mini mash as to not add water for my boil. I'll run the math but approximately 3.2 gallons + LME. So 1.6 gallons for equal runnings. Do you find 1.6 thick for the sparge?

And may I PM you my Oatmeal Stout recipe for your review'? No offense taken if 'no.'

Quick Reply