Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Enter the Dark Arts. N00b Mockumentary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Bottling today so its update time.
I want to start out by saying "Every new brewer should be mandated to first use an opaque ferm bucket instead of a carboy!" I made wort, pitched yeast, and when I opened it two weeks later... I found beer. No worrying about CO2 bubbles or krausen being "infections" and no wondering to myself "Should I throw this out?".

Ok so here is the bottling set up, the sanitized bottles (I am using 1 liter EZ Cap bottles because I like Chimay. Don't judge me.), and getting read to prime. Yes, I am using honey to prime DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN. Using super scientific calculations, I decided to use 1/2 cup honey and 1 and 1/2 cup boiling water (2 cups total priming goo).

A couple notes that went wrong already for other new brewers to avoid. I fermed in my bottling bucket because it was all that was available at the time. This meant I had to siphon it to another bucket to take it off the trub and then BACK to the cleaned bottling bucket prior to bottling. I have a high chance of oxidation thanks to this but was careful with transferring and sanitation so will hopefully be ok.

bottling-set-up.jpg   bottles.jpg   priming.jpg  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

And here is the final product all bottled up. The beer tasted like... well flat beer. Which I understand is a good thing. I got 16 bottles (1 liter each) out of it. Next update when its time to open one!

stout-bottled.jpg  

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
BigGoat
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well done! One thing to note, when using dry yeasts like us05 you don't need to aerate. I still do for good practice, but it isn't necessary.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
SpookyAlmond
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not sure why, sonofgrok, but everytime I read your posts in this thread it sounded like a cowboy in my head.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyAlmond View Post
I'm not sure why, sonofgrok, but everytime I read your posts in this thread it sounded like a cowboy in my head.
Fair enough. I do live in the southwest and the man with no name is my avatar. In real life, I have a very benign, classic midwest lack of accent though

Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I wish this thread existed when I did my first brew.

While apparently written with the intent to amuse, the information is well presented and easily understood.

Thanks sonofgrok

Last edited by JohanMk1; 10-12-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: presented didn't have the p
sonofgrok Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoat
Well done! One thing to note, when using dry yeasts like us05 you don't need to aerate. I still do for good practice, but it isn't necessary.
You always need vigaspooneration!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #28
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Final update time. It has been 9 days since bottling. Time to crack open a homebrew. The (rather intelligent) suggestion from Revvy is to allow 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a brew to carb. My FG was a little high when I bottled and I have been nervous about bottlebombs and I have also been itching for a brew so I decided to crack one now.

Here we go...

pour-time.jpg  

Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #29
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Whew... nice pop at opening. Rich dark color. Nice, slightly dark head. Unexpected chocolaty aroma. Bubbles coming up out of solution which is unexpected because only carbed for 9 days and refrigerated for 7 hours...

poured.jpg  

Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Tasting. Absolutely delicious. Better than any other stout I have had in recent memory. Thanks for the help with the recipe Yooper! Nice and bubbly... almost TOO bubbly (Oh crap *Runs and cold crashes the rest of the bottles*). Chocolaty tones despite no use of chocolate. Good and malty but not too malty. Just enough bitterness. And dark... so dark...

Its a beautiful thing...

she-beaut.jpg  

Quick Reply