*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Enough Wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Enough Wort?

For many brews now I've been using at least 1 lb of DME plus the wort I get from steeping 1 lb of grains, usually crystal, to utilize the hops in a 3.5-4 gal boil.

Is this really enough? I can't say I've noticed any problems, though I target my IPA's for 65-70 IBU's and it doesn't seem to be enough, yet I target my pales and ambers for their low end and some times they seem a little hoppier.

What say you?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

1lb of each seems a lil light for 4G of beer. For a 5G partial mash,I use 5lbs of grains to 3lbs of plain light DME. So for 4 gallons,you should be using some 2/3's of that at least to my thinking. Goota hit BS2.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

My problem is that I generally buy the bulk of my extract as LME as it's cheaper, and use 1-2 lbs of Bavarian wheat DME and 1-2 lbs of grains. I've tried using some LME for the boil, but it made such a mess!

These are 4-5.5 gal brews.

Today's was a 5.5 gal IPA that I used 1.5 lbs of wheat DME and 1 lb of crystal. My boil was with 4 gals.

BS2?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

From your origina; post of 1lb grain & 1lb DME,I get est original gravity of 1.014,FG of 1.004. But I am still new to brewsmith2.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are your gravity readings? Only a poind of grain and 1-2 lbs of extract? Seems like a 1 gal batch to me, or perhaps a near odouls beer as you would likely have very little abv, color, and flavor. Did I misread? I use 10-17lbs of grain for 5 gal ag batches amd used at least 5 lbs extract when I did extract beers....

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

Oh, sorry for the confusion.

I am adding the bulk of my extract after the boil. I'm using the DME and wort from the steeping grains to boil my hops in, but I'm uncertain if it's enough to capture the hop oils.

My hydrometer is broken. A new one is on the way...halfway here by now.

The IPA I just made was done using 1.5 lbs of wheat DME and the wort from 1 lb of crystal (20/40) with 7 lbs of LME added at flameout. The hops were 1 oz of Chinook (11.1%) @ 60 mins, 2 oz Simcoe (13.5%) @ 15 mins, and 2 oz Simcoe (13%) @ 5 mins.

Is the little bit of DME and crystal wort enough to deal with the high amount of hops?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

The DME and crystal wort and hops were boiled in 4 gals of water.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
rklinck

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm a newbie, but my understanding is that if anything, you should actually get more hop utilization by having such a low gravity for the boil. The higher the gravity of the boil, the lower the utilization of the hop bitterness.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
rodwha
Recipes 

I've not heard that, but it would make sense only in that a few of my low IBU beers (pale and amber) seem hoppier than the brew calculator claimed.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
rklinck

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Take a look at chapter 5-5 of How to Brew by Palmer:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

I've read some threads on here that suggest that is no longer the accepted wisdom though. In any event, the hop bitterness should be as strong or stronger if you are waiting until flameout to add the bulk of the malt extract.

Quick Reply