New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > enough aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
kid_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default enough aging?

Hi gang. I made a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout clone from AHS back in January. About three weeks in primary. Since then, it's been sitting in secondary for about two months now. What do you think about bottling now? Or would you age a beer like this for a bit longer before bottling (where I'll age a bit more, anyhow).

There's about a 1/2 inch of yeast in the bottom of the carboy, so I wasn't sure whether that would eventually pose a risk of autolysis either.

I'm completely happy to let it age longer--not in a rush at all--I just don't want to overdo it.

Also, I assume that with bottling now there would still be enough yeast that I wouldn't need to repitch. Is that right, or would you repitch anyway?

Basically any brief input or more in-depth thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
AK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Get that baby in some bottles. No real risk of autolysis yet and there will still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation still. Just remember, let it carb for a few weeks.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed, bottle it!

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

+1 Bottle it and no need to repitch, it'll be fine.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
kid_ak
Recipes 

Thanks all!

I should say--I'm a bit surprised at the consensus (though definitely appreciative of it). I had thought that a high-gravity beer like this could do with months and months of aging. Is that not the case?

Last edited by kid_ak; 03-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3851 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_ak View Post
Thanks all!

I should say--I'm a bit surprised at the consensus (though definitely appreciative of it). I had thought that a high-gravity beer like this could do with months and months of aging. Is that not the case?
How's it taste? If it's "hot" and still rough around the edges, it can age a bit. It can age just fine in the bottle, though.

If it tastes good now, it'll taste better in a month once it's carb up! If it's still a bit rough then, age the bottles a bit longer.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
kid_ak
Recipes 

Your logic is sound, your wisdom runs deep! I'm convinced, bottling on Friday...

Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
iamopie2
Recipes 

I would bottle it too just so it it starts carbing up. You can still age them in the bottles for a year or more if you wanted. If you bottle them and leave them be, they will continue to age.

Quick Reply