Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Enhancing brews through dry hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
haighter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Enhancing brews through dry hopping

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in enhancing the flavor of a brew after you've done the boil and it's been fermenting for a couple days.

I've had one going for about 5 days now and took a draw off of it last night. Sample tasted fine (no odd flavors, drank the whole lot of it - 4oz) but I felt like there was room to grow, as in it tasted just a tad watery. Now, of course the flavors will get enhanced and develop as fermentation and conditioning happen.

FWIW, I'm probably not touching this recipe as I'd like to see how it tastes without modifying it. Really just curious as to the different techniques people use on the fly. I'd assume dry hopping in some fashion...?

Secondary: West Coast IPA

On-deck: Hefeweizen / wheat beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

by and large, once it's fermenting, you can't do much, especially if it isn't a fruit beer. you can dry hop of course, but i wouldn't let 'watery' sway you at this point. let's see the recipe so we can examine a little closer.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 908 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's too young to know what it's going to be. Dry hop is mostly for aroma but it also adds a touch of resiny sweetness. That's what I get with cascade anyway.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've found that dry hopping a beer that doesn't already have a good base of flavor and aroma hops doesn't do much.

MD is good for increasing body and steeping a small amount of aromatic malt can really help in some cases.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 10-16-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply