Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > English Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Irena
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default English Pale Ale

I want to make my first English pale ale all from grain and i have several questions:
I'm now making malt i want to know what is the temperature and the time for roasting green barley for this type of beer ? what is the temperature for water in mash tun and how long should i let the grain sits in mash tun ? how long takes the fermentation in primary ? and every advice about making English pale ale is appreciated.

Last edited by Irena; 11-18-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You want to malt your own barley you mean? I don't really know much about doing that.

The temperature for the mash varies based upon what kind of beer you're going for. In general, the higher mash temperature will create a more full-bodied beer. If you just want to shoot for average then 153-155 degrees F (67-68 Celsius) is a good temperature. Mash it for an hour, and keep it in primary for about three weeks.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Irena
Recipes 

yes i'm malting my own barley and don't know what is the right temperature for roasting barley for pale ale which i sure it's very different for different types of beer.my first batch was very dark because i roasted barley at high temperature for long time.(150 Celsius for 2 hour) and mash temperature was 70 degrees C and mash it for an hour.i didn't taste it because it's in primary now.

Quick Reply