Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Embarrassed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
wmarkw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Embarrassed

Well I messed up my first batch. Only a 1 gallon brew but my first. The brewprocess went fine and I was all excited to bottle my summer wheat up last night.

Long story short I had a battle with my carboy, siphon, siphon hose and my brew pot. Carboy fell off the counter, about knocked me out, landed in my brew/bottling pot along with a drip container I had on the counter, beer all over the kitchen floor, and me mad as hell. At that point I knew it was ruined. I drained about 2/3's from my carboy and was having difficulty trying to get the remaining beer to siphon out, tipped the carboy while trying to get my bottling pot and it fell over.

F ME.

I practiced siphoning from the pot to bottles and it went fine but I guess going from the carboy to the pot screwed me over. So I learned from it. Next time I will have a 2nd person there to help, I'm ordering an auto siphon, and going to research how to make or buy a decent bottling bucket vs a normal pot.

Sad thing is I said F it and picked up my pot and took a few healthy swigs and it tasted good! So to make me feel better I got back on the horse and did a late night brewing of a blue moon clone. I'll be ready next time. Just had to vent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When we're young and learning to ride a bike we are dead set on learning how to ride. We fall, we get back up and keep trying until we can do it. Some get it sooner; some get it later.

Keep going and you'll soon be rolling down the path!

B

Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Well I messed up my first batch. Only a 1 gallon brew but my first. The brewprocess went fine and I was all excited to bottle my summer wheat up last night.

Long story short I had a battle with my carboy, siphon, siphon hose and my brew pot. Carboy fell off the counter, about knocked me out, landed in my brew/bottling pot along with a drip container I had on the counter, beer all over the kitchen floor, and me mad as hell. At that point I knew it was ruined. I drained about 2/3's from my carboy and was having difficulty trying to get the remaining beer to siphon out, tipped the carboy while trying to get my bottling pot and it fell over.

F ME.

I practiced siphoning from the pot to bottles and it went fine but I guess going from the carboy to the pot screwed me over. So I learned from it. Next time I will have a 2nd person there to help, I'm ordering an auto siphon, and going to research how to make or buy a decent bottling bucket vs a normal pot.

Sad thing is I said F it and picked up my pot and took a few healthy swigs and it tasted good! So to make me feel better I got back on the horse and did a late night brewing of a blue moon clone. I'll be ready next time. Just had to vent.
My first brew was a disaster.. beer all over the floor...pots setting everywhere trying to heat enough water to do it. was so bad we named the beer CFA for Cluster F$#K Ale.... Got it bottled finally and it was good enough we have made it again a couple of times only with a more refined approach lol.
I now make what I consider pretty damned good beer . So just keep plugging along and do as everyone else does. ask ask ask questions on here. I have been brewing over 2 years now I think and I still average about a question a day on here lol.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Much credit for doing the late night Blue Moon. At least you went to sleep knowing you made beer!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It happens to us all at some point usually when learning. I'm sure your beer will still be beer and turn out just fine. Read this....it might even make you laugh!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/absolute-disaster-bottling-day-239028/

It's one of the best beer I've made to date!

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

I think that a syphon system should not be used by beginners. I think it adds to things that can go wrong. Plastic buckets (or PET betterbottle) with spigots for both fermenter and bottling buckets should be recommended by the LHBS, but it seems that glass carboys are still in high demmand.
Here's how easy the process is when using buckets with spigots. You would not need a beer thief neither. Low risk of oxidation, clean and simple.

bucket.jpg  

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I certainly made my share of mistakes in batch #1. I think I counted 5 or 6 things that I changed when going to batch #2, then about half that going to #3. It's an iterative process.

As to the siphon, practice with water until you feel comfortable. I don't have an autosiphon and don't plan on buying one. I always have star san sitting around when I'm brewing, so you just squirt some in to the racking cane to start the siphon. Easy peasy.

I do have a bottling bucket though with a spigot.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 418 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Happens to the best of us. After some experimentation, I've found that my bottling goes best with 3 people, assembly-line style: one to sanitize the bottles, one to handle the auto-siphon and bottle filling, and one to put the caps on. It usually runs pretty smoothly, assuming you have enough space that everyone isn't in each others' way.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Auto siphon FTW!!
Remember that the spigots need to be taken off, separated [pull apart with a lot of pressure (for me, I'm a chick) after the plastic has been softened with hot water] cleaned out each batch (oxi soak) and then reassembled correctly so they don't leak.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Please buy a bottling bucket with spigot, hose and bottling wand. Cost me 12 dollars total and it's so much easier you'll beat your formal self up

Quick Reply