Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The Elusive PET 5 Gallon Water Bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default The Elusive PET 5 Gallon Water Bottle

Are these things myths?

I'm trying desperately to save money. Better bottles, as you know, go from $20-$30 depending on size and where you get them. Meanwhile, I hear whispers, hushed murmurings, of the elusive 5 gallon PET water bottle. These magical things can be had for $5-$10, and come filled with water to boot!

Problem is, they are nowhere to be found.

When I'm at the supermarket and see the water bottles, I sneak up, sidestepping as to not frighten away the precious quarry, and carefully lift to check underneath. #7! Again! Every time, #7.

Does anyone know where the #1 PET water bottle breeding ground is? Because I'd love to know. Has anyone found them recently at maybe a Target, Wal Mart, Kmart, Home Depot...somewhere that is likely to be in my neck of the woods (Pennsylvania).

If you divulge the secret, there's a sack of magic beans in it for ya! And then maybe we can go search for Nessy and Big Foot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
PolishStout
Recipes 

Here's an ebay listing for 5 gallon PET water bottles at $14 each.

There's 10 available. I wonder how many will be bought out by members of this forum! :P

Edit: Eeesh! Shipping is $14! but I guess what do you expect for something so large

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStout View Post
Here's an ebay listing for 5 gallon PET water bottles at $14 each.

There's 10 available. I wonder how many will be bought out by members of this forum! :P

Edit: Eeesh! Shipping is $14! but I guess what do you expect for something so large
Ouch. Yeah, that's how they get ya on ebay. I can't count the number of times I saw what I thought was an amazing price on ebay only to find a crazy shipping price. Not to say it doesn't actually cost that much for them to ship.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
PolishStout
Recipes 

At that price, you might as well get a betterbottle. But how much is shipping on those? haha

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found a couple at Lowe's. Most were 7's but a couple had the #1. Got one and used it. The bottom is more domed than a carboy, so you have to angle the racking cane in to get down to the yeast level. Still the price was right. $12 filled with water.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is an online company selling empties.
http://www.h2osplashwaterfilters.com/pet2.html

I have used these a few times with no noticeable negative results, mainly for 3 gallon batches due to their being 5 gallons and not leaving any room for aggressive fermentation.

Here is an older HBT thread where their merit was discussed.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/better-bottle-alternative-122773/

Cheers

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
onipar
Recipes 

Thanks everybody!

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the PET water bottles on sale online for around the better bottle price. With shipping, yeah, they are probably about the same.

Lowes! Great, at least I have a starting point of where to look. I'm planning on hitting the streets tomorrow and just going from store to store. I do have a Lowes nearby, so I'll check there, then maybe Home Depot, target, BJ's Whole Sale, and if I *have* to, Walmart and Kmart.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Lowes so I don;t have to go crazy driving all around town.

One question, you said they had mostly #7's but a couple #1's. Were they the same brand? If not, do you remember what brand the #1's where?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Zen, just noticed that is for *two* bottles, I thought it was only one. That's a pretty good deal. If I can't ind any local, I'll go for that. Thanks!

EDIT EDIT: Do'h! Shipping for me is $15.55, which basically makes it $20 per bottle. :-(

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
MicroBrewMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check with your local bottled water delivery service. Mine carries the in NJ, and Is just a few bucks more than the regular bottles

Primary - Unearthly clone
Primary -

keg 1 - Kolsch
Keg 2 - Cassvile IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Stout
Keg 4 - Stans Session
Keg 5 - Cream of Heat
Keg 6 - Barb Berry Blonde
Keg 7 - Helles

Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBrewMaster View Post
Check with your local bottled water delivery service. Mine carries the in NJ, and Is just a few bucks more than the regular bottles
Good idea, thanks! I just assumed that the local bottled water delivery services would either not sell only the one bottle (without renting the whole rig), or would charge too much. But this is definitely worth a shot, thanks.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I swipe culligan water bottles from work water cooler. They've worked great for me so far.

Quick Reply