Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Electrical Help for Stir Plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
ACarver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Electrical Help for Stir Plate

Hello all, just got done a few days ago with my DIY PC fan stir plate. I have it working, but it seems a little underwhelming power wise and I need some advise on the potentiometer and rocker switched I used.

I used a 12v pc fan, a 9v DC outlet which I have read work and feel confident about. However, I purchased a 10k ohm/0.5 watt potentiometer and a rocker switch that is rated for 16A, 125 VAC. I have read the recommended specs are 25k Ohm 3 watt potentiometer, and 12V, 30 Amp rocker.

Like I said, it works somewhat well, and I get a vortex that goes maybe 2-3 inches downward, but I would like to know if by switching 1 or both of the parts I could get a higher speed stir plate.

I am sure this is a painfully stupid question, and will get many bad comments, but I am a geologist, not an electrician.

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
wegz15
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I didn't read the whole post. I saw you're lacking power. Check your power supply. That could be the problem.

EDIT: I'm assuming your outlet is the supply. Anyhow your vortex should be fine. You don't need it touching bottom.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

the low wattage rating on the potentiometer would give me some concern, but if it works it works. But if it suddenly fails, that would be the component i check first.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
ACarver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone else have an opinion?

Quick Reply