Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Electric Stove & Volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
ThirdGen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Electric Stove & Volume

I planned on using my electric stove for my brewing process, but after reading some of the problems people have I may have to find another way. My question is what volume of water are you bringing to a boil for a 5 gallon batch of beer? I have The Complete Joy of Home Brewing (3E) and the instructions he gives in the "Especially For Beginners" section is to bring 2 gallons to a boil, and add 3 gallons of cold water to your carboy. Then, when everything is ready, add your 2 gallons + ingredients to the 3 gallons of cold water, bringing your final volume to 5 gallons.

The posters I have seen who have problems getting their water to boil on an electric stove say they're boiling all 5 gallons at once. Which way is preferred? Will I be okay with an electric stove top if I do the 2 gallons boiled added to 3 gallons cold water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

it is preferred to do all 5 gallons at once. but if your stove cant handle it, it cant handle it. just do some research on converting recipes to partial boils. also do a test to see how much water you can boil on your stove. you may luck out and be able to boil all 5 gallons. try using more than one burner if you can.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

2 Pots is all I can think of, and my method with electric stove. But, the price of a second nice stainless steel brew pot, vs the cost of a propane burner for your existing pot is something to consider. The propane burner is a multi-tasker- lowcountry boil, fish fry, etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
ThirdGen
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider getting one of those propane burners and just do it on my porch (live in an apartment complex). Do you ever worry about working in the outdoor environment, is there a higher chance of infection vs. working indoors?

*The biggest pot I have is 8qt so I can't do a practice run on getting 5 gallons to boil yet.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
coryforsenate
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've brought 7 gallons of wort to a boil on my electric stove without any trouble.

I built an insulating jacket around my kettle.

I don't have a real good picture of it but you can see it somewhat in this picture:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4184/img0364rg.jpg

Hefeweizen
Hard Cider
Tripel w/wine tannins
Weizenbock

Primary
Dark Strong
Tripel

Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had no problem boiling 6.5 gals on my stovetop with a few tweaks. See my signature below for a link to some tips.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
ThirdGen
Recipes 

Great threads there FlyGuy, I've heard of people complaining about the non-stainless steel pots, have you ever had a problem?

Also, I LOVE the T-siphon design. Just to clarify, the T section needs to be hanging BELOW the bottom of the top vessel (primary) but above the bottom vessel (secondary or bottling bucket), right?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGen View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll consider getting one of those propane burners and just do it on my porch (live in an apartment complex). Do you ever worry about working in the outdoor environment, is there a higher chance of infection vs. working indoors?

*The biggest pot I have is 8qt so I can't do a practice run on getting 5 gallons to boil yet.
as long as the water is above 140F-150F the risk of infection is slim to none. if the water is boiling the risk is zero. anything that gets into your brew during the boil is "flavoring". my friend and i brew in his garage with the door open just a foot or two inside the opening. we haven't had a problem yet. i probably wouldn't brew outdoors on a windy day. don't want to get dirt in your brew, tastes awful. if your worried put a lid on your pot while you are cooling.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
portalgod
Recipes 

I boiled about 3.5 gallons on a standard whirlpool stove with no issues. It takes a while to get up to temp, but it can boil. Then I add the remaining 2 or so gallons in the primary fermenter, to which I added the chilled wort.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGen View Post
Great threads there FlyGuy, I've heard of people complaining about the non-stainless steel pots, have you ever had a problem?
No, not at all. Aluminum pots are superior to SS in my opinion. Most of the people that complain about aluminum pots have never actually used them, or don't know how to treat them properly.

Quote:
Also, I LOVE the T-siphon design. Just to clarify, the T section needs to be hanging BELOW the bottom of the top vessel (primary) but above the bottom vessel (secondary or bottling bucket), right?
Yes, it is still a siphon, so it will only work if the length of tubing running down into the destination vessel is below the bottom of the source vessel. Glad you liked it!

Quick Reply