Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Electric Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Electric Burner

Are there any electric burners that can handle boiling ~7 gallons? My stove barely handles 3.5 gallons, and I'd prefer to try a full boil. It's just too hot and there are lots of bugs to brew outside.

Money is always an object to some extent, but so is buying something with quality.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Ok now,here's a possible work around I found out of neccesity...which is of course the mother of invention. I had 3 burners on our electric stove go south,with the 4th on it's last legs. I searched amazon,& found the ones in the link in My Profile. Pantra I think the name was.
Anyway,they heat up faster & more evenly than the stock GE ones did. I can get 3G in my 5G SSBK to boikling in 18 minutes now. Maybe they'll help you out?...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

It would work for now I suppose. We are renting this house, which has a Whirlpool stove that has 3 burners going south. I pulled one out and noticed something like carbon buildup. Clean it off a little and it works better for a while. I haven't actually looked at the part that the burner contacts into. If the burner connections look like that what they connect to must look like that too.

I'd still prefer a burner that can handle a large boil of up to 7 gallons. Am I wishing for something out of reach?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

I also wouldn't want to brew outside because I love how the house smells!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 343

Check online for restaurant suppliers. You might be able to buy a commercial hot plate, but I'm not sure what wattage you'd need to boil 7 gallons.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: CoffeeDryStout
Fermenting" Irish Red Ale
Dry Hopping: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

The large burner on my 2 year old GE will boil 7 gallons quite easily. I don't know if the controls need to be changed to get the extra heat or if you can just get a new burner.

Quick Reply