Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > efficiency question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #21
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomist3k View Post
That is extremely helpful, thanks!
I'm going to go back and check my previous recipes to see how I've improved over time.

So it sounds to me that it's safe to say that overall efficiency is always going to be less than mash efficiency. so I don't feel too bad about my last brew, it just sucks that I didn't get the hop utilization that I planned for.
Correct. You're overall efficiency will always be less than your mash efficiency.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #22
autonomist3k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok, this is all starting to make sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #23
autonomist3k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went over my last brew and sure enough, my overall efficiency wasn't that bad, I'm sure now that it's because of the fact that it was a 5 gallon batch vs this recent 2.5 gallon batch, The percentage that's taken away from efficiency due to dead space in the equipment makes a bigger difference on smaller batches.
My mash efficiency on the 5 gallon batch was worse though, but that's because I made some improvements with this most recent batch, I adjusted my grain mill, sparged slower, and made sure to stir pretty good after adding sparge water.

At this rate my next 5 gallon batch should be the best I've done so far efficiency wise.

Quick Reply