Originally Posted by Hops4life
I guess my question more simply stated is that if I'm only off .0056 on my OG is that really a 20% efficiency problem?
I'm wondering if part of it is due to mixing and not having a totally accurate reading. But I measured that after going from kettle to fermenter so it should have been well mixed or so I thought.
My only other thing that may have gone wrong was my mash temp. I think it may have been low. I heated the mash (4 gallons) to I THINK 158 but I may have lost a little more heat than I thought transferring to my mash cooler. Which I think could cause less extraction and lower the efficiency.
No matter what it will be beer as long as nothing gets infected...... Just trying to learn more.
Lot of variables here. Was the "mash cooler" pre-heated? Was the mash 158 or the strike water? What temp was the mash after transfer (not sure what this means) and after a significant stir and about 4 minutes to stabilize?
Strike water for my system to hit 155F has to be about 165F AFTER it has been in the tun for about 5 minutes and stirred continuously. Even then, I keep 2 gal of boiling water on hand (22# grain bill give or take). I dough in, stir like mad, wait 5 minutes, stir like mad, check my temp.
This is when I actually follow my process...most of the time I heat my strike water to 175F and dough in as the cold mash tun is filling, pause once the mash is completely saturated, stir, check temp. If I am -10 degrees or less I add 175F water until I hit temp, stir, check temp, cap it and check in 30 minutes. Most of the time my volume and insulation allow me to leave it but I keep boiling water on hand or equipment for a decotion when I brewing below freezing (often).
Still, your beer will likely be tasty.