New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > efficiency question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default efficiency question

I am getting ready to do my first 10 gallon batch. In order to get my volumes I need for sparging ( limited space in the HLT) I will have to up my normal water to grain ratio from 1.25 qts per lb to 1.5 qts per lb..... will this have any effect on efficiency numbers......Also I usually boil off 1.5 gallons in an hour boil for a 5 gallon batch...will the extra volume change that?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Evaporation rates are determined by the surface area of the water and the vigor of the boil. If you use a wider pot, you'll evaporate more water. It's well worth a test run with some water to verify.

Efficiency - really depends on your process. At least for my batch sparge, a looser mash gives a couple percent better efficiency. I've see people claim the opposite though. Either way, it is likely to be a pretty small impact.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It is said that a higher water to grain ratio helps efficiency, but in my tests the results are negligible. A 1.5 ratio should theoretically help your efficiency so no worries there.

My boil off rate is the same as yours. I did a 11 gallon batch last weekend and my boil off rate was exactly the same as a 5.5 gallon batch.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Thanks guys...about 5 minutes from mashing in cream of three crops

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

well you guys were right.. boil off was exzctly the same.. BUT efficiency took a BIG jump...normally 75% efficiency..83% on this one ( according to hopville beer calculus) I hope it doesn't change the flavor of the beer too much Recipe called for 1.040 ( I usually get a little higher) I got 1.052 on this batch.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nice!! Nothing wrong with better efficiency! With a few 10 gallon brews under your belt you will tune that percentage and know how much grain to mash. Let us know how it turns out.

I always use this calculator on Brewers Friend to accurately hit my gravities on those big ass boils. Sometimes I end up with more or less wort but I hate overshooting my gravity and expecting my yeast to pick up the slack...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

After doing the ten gallon batch, I see no reason to not continue except for first time brews. or bigger beers. same time frame and twice the beer... and to be honest ( i know this will sound like BS) I think I got a harder more vigorous boil with ten gallons?

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply