Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > An Efficiency Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
the_mox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default An Efficiency Problem

So I have a problem with my efficiency. I order my kits from Midwest supplies, and I crush my own grains. As a result of my crush, I get much better efficiency than Midwest expects from its kits(I think they expect around 68% and I normally get high 70's). While it might seem lame that I'm complaining about being too efficient. Most of my beers are just too boozy. I want to be able to drink a few beers and not have to worry about getting drunk, and I want my friends to come over, have a few, and be able to, well, leave (not to mention, I don't want that boozy taste in all my beers). Is there someway I can account for my better efficiency? Like is there someway I can figure out how much grain I should remove so I can hit my target OG? Like some formula, or through Beersmith?

Thanks All.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Yes, you can plug your recipe in BeerSmith or any free online brewing tool and adjust your grain bill to get the OG you need, accounting for your real efficiency.
You could also keep the grain bill and mash at a little higher temp to get a higher FG, dropping your ABV% to where you want it to be. This last option will of course change your mouth feel and residual sweetness as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
the_mox
Recipes 

Great! Thanks.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Elweydoloco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
Yes, you can plug your recipe in BeerSmith or any free online brewing tool and adjust your grain bill to get the OG you need, accounting for your real efficiency.
You could also keep the grain bill and mash at a little higher temp to get a higher FG, dropping your ABV% to where you want it to be. This last option will of course change your mouth feel and residual sweetness as well.
+1

MALT

More Alcohol Lower Temperature

The reverse is the same Less alcohol higher temperature. Gives you more mouth feel as stated.

Primary
AHS London Porter
Secondary
Bottled
AHS Blue Moon Clone, Double Choco Stout, Porter, Hard Apple Cider, Apocalypso

Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
crazybluerider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could you do slightly larger batches? Provided you have large enough equipment to hold the extra volume. If the grains are for a 5 gallon batch would making say a 5.5 or 6 gallon batch create the correct gravity?

More beer is always a good thing.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

If you're ordering kits, and you think your crush is the contributing factor, why not just order the kits crushed at Midwest? Isn't it only like an extra dollar per batch?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybluerider View Post
Could you do slightly larger batches? Provided you have large enough equipment to hold the extra volume. If the grains are for a 5 gallon batch would making say a 5.5 or 6 gallon batch create the correct gravity?

More beer is always a good thing.
good idea!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
the_mox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
If you're ordering kits, and you think your crush is the contributing factor, why not just order the kits crushed at Midwest? Isn't it only like an extra dollar per batch?
Because, then I wouldn't be doing the best I can...and that would bug me.

Quick Reply