Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Economy brewpot and scorching

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Libertexian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Economy brewpot and scorching

Getting geared up to brew my first batch this weekend! One of my concerns is that my 40qt SS economy brewpot may lack considerably in the heat distribution department, and may contribute to scorched wort.

How worried should i be? Does anyone else have experience with these AHS economy pots?

I was looking today at these cast iron burner shields http://www.grillparts.com/charbroil/...uct_id=4156439
Would this be a good safeguard? Does anyone know of a big box store that sells these or a like product.

Any guidance appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a pretty cheap pot when I did extract and as long as I pulled the pot off the burner while adding the stuff, none of it ever scorched.

I also did the late additions as mentioned in how to brew. (adding half your extract up fron and half at the end of the boil)

I don't think a cast iron plate on your burner is worth the trouble.

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would say you'll be fine without the burner shield depending on your burner. Like philrose said, the key is to remove the pot from the burner when adding extracts. I usually add my extract before I even get up to a boil.

While we're on the topic, I'm looking into getting a new kitchen stove with the seamless glass top. Anyone use these for extract brewing and have any problems? Would you recommend a heat shield or trivet then?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
mtkfuego
Recipes 

I currently do extract brewing on a seamless glass top range. I do partial boils because my pot is only 5 gallons, so I usually do a 3 gallon boil to add the extract to. The worst thing is it takes FOR EVER to bring it to a boil and I almost never hold a rolling boil. Usually takes about an hour to get it up to boiling temperature, so just be prepared for a long brew day.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If the economy pots are pretty decent, I need to re-think getting a $160 pot from Morebeer.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You can more likely find a heat diffuser. I use one when I'm doing PM in the old pot.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is anyone familiar with this: BREWER'S EDGE 40 QUART BREWKETTLE
from Williams Brewing? It comes with a brass valve and sells for $100. It has two more gallons capacity than the 8 from Morebeer for $160. Only half as thick and I'm sure it's "cheaper" overall, but wth?

Off track, am I better off with thick aluminum or thin SS? (Assuming about the same price.)

Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
rrittenhouse
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I paid $6.99 for my brew kettle brand new (5 gallon SS) at a local grocery store. Its extremely thin and it survived quite well. I had no scortching and that was even my FIRST batch! Remove it from the heat when adding DME/LME and make SUREE you stir the crap out of it before putting it back on the heat.

Most of all - don't worry too much. I find there is a certain level of good worrying because you don't want to screw up a batch (which I can relate to).

You will be fine.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
Libertexian
Recipes 

Update:
Brewed an all grain Black Ale on Black Friday in the 40 qt econ pot. No problems at all! I cant imagine buying a more expensive pot. And the boil off was not as much as i anticipated. 7 gal pre boil, 5.5 post at 210 degrees.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a 30 qt Proctor-Silex SS brewpot, pretty cheap (was $40 delivered). This pot is very thin metal. I've made @50 batches in it, all but the last half-dozen have been extract. I've never scorched / burnt extract onto the bottom. I don't pull the pot off the burner when I add extract, I just stir like mad as I pour the extract in, until I'm sure it's all dissolved. Once I'm to that point, I know I'm good. There can be a tendency for a stain to form on the bottom of the brewpot, but simple detergent and a ScotchBrite scrubber takes that off.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply