New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > easy ways to clear beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't know if there's anything "so special" about secondaries. I can't offer any scientific evidence, merely anecdotal. I don't know if its the turbulence of transferring that knocks the last bit of stuff out of suspension or what. I've had beers in primary 3+ weeks that wouldn't clear up, drop clear within days of transfering to secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3854 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

The easiest way to fix a hazy beer is to prevent it in the first place!

First, make sure you get a nice hard rolling boil at the beginning. Not a simmer, but a rolling boil. Use Whirfloc (one whole tablet) with 15 minutes left in the boil. Once the boil is over, chill the beer to 65 degrees within 20 minutes by using an immersion chiller, ice baths, etc, whatever it takes.

Use a flocculant yeast like S04 or nottingham which form tightly packed compacted yeast cakes. Leave it in the fermenter for 14-21 days (until the beer is clear), chilling it for the last three days if possible, and then rack only the clear beer into the bottling bucket.

Using some ingredients will tend to cause haze- wheat, flaked barley, etc, so don't use them if you want a super clear beer.

I don't use gelatin or other clarifiers because some of my friends are vegetarians and wouldn't expect meat or shellfish products in their beer.

Just those simple things will produce a beer that looks like this:

Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Jakemo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 to Yoop!

Cold conditioning in bottle for a couple weeks after the bottles are finished carbing up also helps a lot. The picture is one such beer. My Centennial pale ale recipe if anyone's curious

Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
spam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

wow good stuff all,,put my fears to rest!

Quick Reply