Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #81
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

makes me feel like doing the happy dance, too!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #82
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

DB, you rock

I'm all about doing a SMaSH using this technique for my next batch. You've just taken the mystery/mystique out of all grain and I feel like I can do it with what I already have on hand. Thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #83
rtockst
Recipes 

Need some help for this weekend.... I'm gonna try to all grain nut brown on my stovetop.. here's my list

pale malt 7 lbs
crystal 80 2 lbs
victory .5 lbs
special b .5 lbs
cascade 0.5 oz 7% 60 min
willamette 1 oz 5% 5 min

So the problem is.. i only have a 5 gal pot and another pot thats maybe 3 gal. I was shooting for a 1.05 OG, the problem is I don't want to have to do a horribly thick mash because I assume I'll have a poor efficiency the first time and I don't want to make my OG any lower by doing a thick mash. any ideas? comments?

Primary: Oktoberfest!!

Secondary:

Bottled:

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #84
dasBuhbuh
Recipes 

hmmm....i may have enough reasons to give this a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
This method will work with any decent size beer (generally up to about 1.055 OG or about 12 lbs of grain)
any reason?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #85
secinarot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm looking forward to trying my first AG using this method - probably start with a small batch. I have a couple of AG newbie questions.

Since I don't really know what my efficiency will be, I can't adjust my grain bill for it. So should I just go with 1.25 lbs/qt? Then I would check the OG at the end and add water if too high or add extract if too low? Also, how do I know the proper mash temperature? Do AG recipes usually tell you that?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #86
rtockst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secinarot View Post
I'm looking forward to trying my first AG using this method - probably start with a small batch. I have a couple of AG newbie questions.

Since I don't really know what my efficiency will be, I can't adjust my grain bill for it. So should I just go with 1.25 lbs/qt? Then I would check the OG at the end and add water if too high or add extract if too low? Also, how do I know the proper mash temperature? Do AG recipes usually tell you that?
I'm a huge noob too, but I have been researching the crap out of mashing, and the mash temp you use actually depends on what style of beer it is, or just on how sweet or dry you want your beer to be. General rule is to mash between 150 and 155/158 F. I'm not sure about the upper end of this because I have seen both 155 and 158. Anyway, temperatures that are in the upper part of this range will give you a sweeter beer (less fermentable wort) with more body. Temps in the lower end of the range will give you a drier beer (more fermentables, so higher alcohol and less sweetness) with less body. Hope that helps

Primary: Oktoberfest!!

Secondary:

Bottled:

Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #87
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasBuhbuh View Post
hmmm....i may have enough reasons to give this a shot!

Quote:
This method will work with any decent size beer (generally up to about 1.055 OG or about 12 lbs of grain)
any reason?
just the 5 gallon pot size. if you have a bigger pot, you can use more grain.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #88
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockst View Post
Need some help for this weekend.... I'm gonna try to all grain nut brown on my stovetop.. here's my list

pale malt 7 lbs
crystal 80 2 lbs
victory .5 lbs
special b .5 lbs
cascade 0.5 oz 7% 60 min
willamette 1 oz 5% 5 min

So the problem is.. i only have a 5 gal pot and another pot thats maybe 3 gal. I was shooting for a 1.05 OG, the problem is I don't want to have to do a horribly thick mash because I assume I'll have a poor efficiency the first time and I don't want to make my OG any lower by doing a thick mash. any ideas? comments?

i'd just replace some of the pale malt with extract and do a partial mash. you're going to need a bigger pot to do all-grain.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #89
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secinarot View Post

if you go with 1.25qt/lb (you reversed, btw), and you use a full sparge (4+ gallons) and you take your time and control your temps...you will get 70+% efficiency. the only factor that might be a problem is your crush, but i'm still confident enough in this process to say 65% minimum.

proper mash temperature depends entirely on the beer. MOST of my brews, i mash in the 150-152°F range. i like my beers dry. if you like fuller beers with more dextrins and residual sweetness, mash higher. 152-154°F is pretty much middle of the range and could be used for almost any beer.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #90
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockst View Post
I'm a huge noob too, but I have been researching the crap out of mashing, and the mash temp you use actually depends on what style of beer it is, or just on how sweet or dry you want your beer to be. General rule is to mash between 150 and 155/158 F. I'm not sure about the upper end of this because I have seen both 155 and 158. Anyway, temperatures that are in the upper part of this range will give you a sweeter beer (less fermentable wort) with more body. Temps in the lower end of the range will give you a drier beer (more fermentables, so higher alcohol and less sweetness) with less body. Hope that helps
i think you just graduated from being a n00b

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply