Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #71
abonzer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to give this method a try. I have an 8-gallon brew pot. With a pot this size would it be a good idea to use 5-gallons of water with the initial mash? The initial water temp would probably need to be lower due to the larger volume of water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #72
hcarter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
did you read the thread? look over the first few pages again. you don't boil any grains. you add them all together at the beginning after you have your water hot and ready...the base malts AND the specialty malts. this is all-grain

Yeah.... actually I did, I guess just over thinking it. Sorry.

Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #73
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abonzer View Post
I am going to give this method a try. I have an 8-gallon brew pot. With a pot this size would it be a good idea to use 5-gallons of water with the initial mash? The initial water temp would probably need to be lower due to the larger volume of water.
you should keep the initial mash in the range of 1-2 quarts per pound of grain. i usually stick closer to 1.25qt/lb

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #74
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default bad efficiency

Thanks for posting all of this - it helped me do my first AG today. I did Biermuncher's SWMBO Slayer using a nearly identical setup with the exception of doing final boil outside (hey, it's Florida.) Everything went pretty smoothly but managing temps was a little sketchy. I overshot my mash temp a few degrees and did a little adding of cool water and then some boiling when I went too far the other way.

Anyway, my OG after the boil and topping off with ice water to 5g was 1.040 instead of the expected 1.057 - yes should have checked before topping off. So I think my temps are one reason for the bad efficiency but was wondering if I should consider bumping the OG with some sugar since higher temps may mean a little higher FG as well?

-Craig

Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #75
Idyllic
Recipes 

nice, good pics

Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #76
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Thanks for posting all of this - it helped me do my first AG today. I did Biermuncher's SWMBO Slayer using a nearly identical setup with the exception of doing final boil outside (hey, it's Florida.) Everything went pretty smoothly but managing temps was a little sketchy. I overshot my mash temp a few degrees and did a little adding of cool water and then some boiling when I went too far the other way.

Anyway, my OG after the boil and topping off with ice water to 5g was 1.040 instead of the expected 1.057 - yes should have checked before topping off. So I think my temps are one reason for the bad efficiency but was wondering if I should consider bumping the OG with some sugar since higher temps may mean a little higher FG as well?
you can always add extract to reach your target gravity. if you're going to add it now (after it's already been fermenting) it won't hurt anything. just make sure everything is sanitized, boil and cool, and dump it in.

if it tasted good, i wouldn't worry about it. 1.040 is a decent sized beer.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #77
abonzer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
you should keep the initial mash in the range of 1-2 quarts per pound of grain. i usually stick closer to 1.25qt/lb
I was well underway when I asked my question. I ended up using 5 gallons of water in my original mash (at the time this seemed to make sense to me) with about 12 lbs of grain. My sparge temp was a little high too and I did the sparge a little different than you since I didn't have a 2nd 5 gallon or larger pot. I did the sparge by heating 2 gallons of water in a small pot and then poured it over the grain bag into my empty fermenter bucket. I then transferred the sparge liquid back to the 8 gallon brew pot. In the end, after the boil, I had more than 5 gallons but I don't think that is huge deal. The OG was around 1.050 which was close to what the recipe called out for which was 1.054. It is now fermenting away. I will know in a month or so if it turned out!

Also, it was difficult to heat around 6 gallons to boil temperature like you said. I have a flat ceramic cooktop so I thought I would give it a go, but I had to help it out with a small propane torch on the side of the pot to get to a rolling boil (probably not the safest idea, but it worked). My next purchase will be an exterior propane burner.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #78
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
I was well underway when I asked my question. I ended up using 5 gallons of water in my original mash (at the time this seemed to make sense to me) with about 12 lbs of grain. My sparge temp was a little high too and I did the sparge a little different than you since I didn't have a 2nd 5 gallon or larger pot. I did the sparge by heating 2 gallons of water in a small pot and then poured it over the grain bag into my empty fermenter bucket. I then transferred the sparge liquid back to the 8 gallon brew pot. In the end, after the boil, I had more than 5 gallons but I don't think that is huge deal. The OG was around 1.050 which was close to what the recipe called out for which was 1.054. It is now fermenting away. I will know in a month or so if it turned out!
you can do a thin mash and actually do a "no-sparge" with decent efficiency. i prefer to do the 1.25qt/lb or lower, however, and keep the enzymes happy.

sounds like everything worked out well. i used the "rinse sparge" before i started the "tea bag" method (heh...i love these names). The rinse works, but is not as effective as the tea bag.

Quote:
Also, it was difficult to heat around 6 gallons to boil temperature like you said. I have a flat ceramic cooktop so I thought I would give it a go, but I had to help it out with a small propane torch on the side of the pot to get to a rolling boil (probably not the safest idea, but it worked). My next purchase will be an exterior propane burner.
lol, how dangerously awesome. propane burner is always a good investment. until then, however, you can split between two pots and split the hops accordingly. i've made some fine beer that way.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #79
DylansDad
Recipes 

Wow, Yet again you make it sound and look really easy.

Thanks for all the info!

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #80
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for this great tutorial made me step up and try a all grain i ordered it the other day from northern brewer it is being delivered tommorow so now i am like a kid at xmas i tested the stuff today to see if it will handle getting 6 gallon to boil that passed got my big straining bag fits nice and tight on my brew pot boiled my top off water and got it chilling picked up my blow off tube today just incase first time im gonna ferment in a carboy my primary bucket got a batch in now already but i cant wait to try this ill be waiting on the porch for the ups man.lol thanks again for the great tutorial will let ya know how i make out

Quick Reply