New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #531
DavidHawman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A tip that may help people not able to hold the bag long enough: move the pot to the floor and lift/drain from there. Stand with the pot between your spread legs and lift with your legs/back.

I used this method yesterday and I was able to hold 11lb of grains for 5+ minutes without any fatigue. Even my GF was able to hold the bag of wet grain without any problem. Did this twice and since you can use your much stronger back and legs its much much easier.

You do have to move hot wort to the floor and back to stove, but this is much easier and less messy since it is just a brief move and you can put a lid on it.

While it may say "Stovetop All-Grain" there is nothing forcing you from moving stuff to the floor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #532
tincob
Recipes 

Cool, I tried this method on my first AG batch last night.

The instructions included with the ESB kit called for 1.054 OG and I hit 1.052 OG. Good enough for my first attempt. Don't know what efficiency that comes to...

My temperature dropped from 154 deg to 150 deg F during mashing. I stirred once at the 30 min mark. I'll have to do a better job of insulating the brew pot. The colander worked great for draining the grain.

I also tried foam control drops for the first time which worked like a charm.

Overall, it was an uneventful evening, which is all you can ask for.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #533
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Set the pot on a folded towel on your countertop, wrap it with another towel, then place another folded towel on top. That's what I do, and it works very well for holding my mash temp.

Sounds like your efficiency is great!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #534
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #535
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

I've done that a few times. After the sparge, I just leave the grains in a pot and when I toss the grains, I pour the remaining amount in the boil.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #536
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Sorry, posted by accident, can't figure out how to delete.

Great thread though, was very helpful for my first AG BIAB.

Last edited by orangehero; 06-04-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #537
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!
Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #538
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincob View Post
DeathBrewer,

You mentioned ~10 lbs of grain as the max you would do with this method.

I just ordered two kits, one that's 11 lbs of grain (IPA), the other 10.5 lbs (ESB).

If I go with a 24 quart SS pot to handle the greater volume, what other issues should I pay special attention to when going with more grain than your recommended range?

Looking forward to trying this out for my first two AG attempts.
If I may chime in, I do 15 pound grain bills or more using DBs method. I get at least 80% efficiency consistently, using 20 qt aluminum pot. Except, I use TWO 20 qt pots. It is easier than you think to mash in both at the same time. Just tackle one at a time until you reach your target temp. I find if I try to stuff too thick of a mash in one pot my efficiency goes down alot. Those pots are cheap at a thrift/second hand store.

Just my 2 bits.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #539
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.
I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #540
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.
I thought he meant he only holds the grains for 45 seconds to drain it and that's it. I could be wrong though.

Quick Reply