New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #531
DavidHawman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: State College Pa
Posts: 172
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

A tip that may help people not able to hold the bag long enough: move the pot to the floor and lift/drain from there. Stand with the pot between your spread legs and lift with your legs/back.

I used this method yesterday and I was able to hold 11lb of grains for 5+ minutes without any fatigue. Even my GF was able to hold the bag of wet grain without any problem. Did this twice and since you can use your much stronger back and legs its much much easier.

You do have to move hot wort to the floor and back to stove, but this is much easier and less messy since it is just a brief move and you can put a lid on it.

While it may say "Stovetop All-Grain" there is nothing forcing you from moving stuff to the floor.



__________________
DavidHawman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #532
tincob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Darien, CT
Posts: 170
Default

Cool, I tried this method on my first AG batch last night.

The instructions included with the ESB kit called for 1.054 OG and I hit 1.052 OG. Good enough for my first attempt. Don't know what efficiency that comes to...

My temperature dropped from 154 deg to 150 deg F during mashing. I stirred once at the 30 min mark. I'll have to do a better job of insulating the brew pot. The colander worked great for draining the grain.

I also tried foam control drops for the first time which worked like a charm.

Overall, it was an uneventful evening, which is all you can ask for.



__________________
tincob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #533
Token
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Token's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UP of MI, Michigan
Posts: 549
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Set the pot on a folded towel on your countertop, wrap it with another towel, then place another folded towel on top. That's what I do, and it works very well for holding my mash temp.

Sounds like your efficiency is great!

__________________
Worry Wort Brewing
Token is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #534
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 485
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!

__________________
damdaman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #535
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,826
Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

Default

I've done that a few times. After the sparge, I just leave the grains in a pot and when I toss the grains, I pour the remaining amount in the boil.

__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #536
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast
Posts: 673
Liked 65 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default

Sorry, posted by accident, can't figure out how to delete.

Great thread though, was very helpful for my first AG BIAB.

__________________

Last edited by orangehero; 06-04-2010 at 03:42 AM.
orangehero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #537
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Posts: 617
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!
Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.
__________________
jjones17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #538
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Posts: 617
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincob View Post
DeathBrewer,

You mentioned ~10 lbs of grain as the max you would do with this method.

I just ordered two kits, one that's 11 lbs of grain (IPA), the other 10.5 lbs (ESB).

If I go with a 24 quart SS pot to handle the greater volume, what other issues should I pay special attention to when going with more grain than your recommended range?

Looking forward to trying this out for my first two AG attempts.
If I may chime in, I do 15 pound grain bills or more using DBs method. I get at least 80% efficiency consistently, using 20 qt aluminum pot. Except, I use TWO 20 qt pots. It is easier than you think to mash in both at the same time. Just tackle one at a time until you reach your target temp. I find if I try to stuff too thick of a mash in one pot my efficiency goes down alot. Those pots are cheap at a thrift/second hand store.

Just my 2 bits.
__________________
jjones17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #539
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,826
Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.
I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #540
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.
I thought he meant he only holds the grains for 45 seconds to drain it and that's it. I could be wrong though.


__________________
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1487 02-24-2014 02:11 PM
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics) DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 75 12-12-2012 09:35 PM
MacGuyver Stovetop All Grain MikeRLynch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 10-22-2010 01:22 PM
Is there an easy way to get the Bayou Classic at near-stovetop height? nibiyabi Equipment/Sanitation 23 03-18-2009 06:24 PM
Stovetop all grain. Bender All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-31-2009 03:32 AM