Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #491
agenthucky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Can you elaborate on what you made the jacket out of and how?

EDIT: is your jacket removable? i.e. you only put it on the MT when the heat is turned off?

agenthucky - yeah, that's my concern now too. By looking for something more permanent than blankets, I'm making it so that it has to withstand heat from the burner. I wonder if towels and bungee would be safer...

I don't wrap mine in anything while it is on the heat. Only if I decide to take it off, like for single infusions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #492
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Can you elaborate on what you made the jacket out of and how?

EDIT: is your jacket removable? i.e. you only put it on the MT when the heat is turned off?

agenthucky - yeah, that's my concern now too. By looking for something more permanent than blankets, I'm making it so that it has to withstand heat from the burner. I wonder if towels and bungee would be safer...
I heat the water and then I add the grains and then I cover it with the jacket. I NEVER apply heat once I'm mashed in, it's too difficult to get it right...the temp will go up too high and go back down when you mix, etc...it's a mess.

We have some aluminum-sheet-sided fiberglass insulation. I just cut out a piece, wrapped it around the mash tun and taped all the corners (so no fiberglass comes out) and taped it to fit. It's really ugly but it works great. I still throw a pillow on the top and then slide the jacket over that.

My buddy uses the "car window" reflectors with bungee cords and I've used towels with bungee cords many times in the past.

I've also used towels, bungee cords, and ice packs to wrap my 15 gallon sanke kegs that I use as fermenters during the summer. I just put in one bungee cord, throw the ice packs under the towel, and secure it with the other bungee cords. The options are limitless!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #493
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think I'm gonna KISS and do towels + bungee cords.

I have estimated that going all-grain with your advice is going to cost me less than $20, lol.

$5 for a straining bag (and that's if I get it online and not the Lowe's alternative mentioned)
$5 for a floating thermometer
$5 for a couple small bungees?

I got towels out the ass & I can borrow a 5gal stockpot...

THANKS DEATHBREWER!

Last edited by Burgs; 04-09-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #494
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I heat the water and then I add the grains and then I cover it with the jacket. I NEVER apply heat once I'm mashed in, it's too difficult to get it right...the temp will go up too high and go back down when you mix, etc...it's a mess.

DB makes a good point. You need to apply heat slowly, and mix well or else you can overshoot. If you want to ramp fast for bigger steps, thats fine, but turn it down before you hit your target, and slowly let it climb the rest of the 5-7 degrees.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #495
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 356

An extreme sleeping bag & bungee cords keep mine nice & toasty.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #496
djspray
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For my first brew ever, I'm trying this tomorrow with the Hop Head Double IPA (Midwest). I've got two 30qt SS pot rearing to go. I modified them with insulation from Lowe's (aluminum-coated bubble wrap). I did a test boil tonight with 4 gal and hit rolling in 29min. Psyched...

Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #497
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Honestly? I use the exact same size mash tuns and I have a solution for your insulation problems that is FREE!!

Preheat your oven to 200F

Once you hit the target temp, put a lid on it, and place it in your preheated oven. (lowest rack)

Then, close the oven and turn off the heat completely. Trust me - I have done DB method about 20 times, and have never lost a single degree doing it this way. The residual heat in the oven keeps the temp in.

This weekend I will do 2 mashes at the same time to make an IIPA.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #498
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

DeathBrewer, how are you calculating efficiency when you use this method?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #499
gak27
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on using the oven. I leave one rack in the lowest slot, turn the oven to 170F and leave it on. I stir the mash every 15 minutes or so. Both times I've done this the temp has stayed right at the mash temperature and I've gotten 70+ efficiency.

Upcoming: ---
Primary:
---
Secondary:---
Bottled:
Kolsch all-grain (3 gal)
Partial mash Red IPA (5 gal)
Bell's Two-Hearted inspired partial mash (5 gal)

Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #500
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gak27 View Post
+1 on using the oven. I leave one rack in the lowest slot, turn the oven to 170F and leave it on. I stir the mash every 15 minutes or so. Both times I've done this the temp has stayed right at the mash temperature and I've gotten 70+ efficiency.
I was wondering about this. My stove goes to 170F for the lowest setting. Does the 170F ambient heat up the mash at all? Maybe the sirring corrects for it. Also, what about leaving the door a little open?

I'm thinking it might not be worth it to have my oven on for an hour, but I will at least have to try it and see what I get. I don't think the increase in efficiency will make up for the cost of using the stove. But if it makes great beer, that's a different story.

Quick Reply