Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #461
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
DeathBrewer, one more final question if you don't mind. Which of the below bags would you recommend for steeping the grains in with your stovetop method?

Thanks again!

Extra Fine Nylon Bag (Drawstring)
Extra Large Muslin Bag
Jumbo Coarse Nylon Bag
Large Coarse Nylon Bag
Large Muslin Bag

I am looking at this page: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_33_403
Either the Jumbo Coarse Nylon Bag (18 x 32) or the Large Coarse Nylon Bag (20 x 22)

The 18" MIGHT be too small...you can't cram grain in there...it has to be loose and free-flowing. The bag is there for the sole purpose of getting the grain seperated from the wort.

I use the 24 x 24 bags like this one:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15689//Grain_Bag_-_24_x_24_Medium

It looks like morebeer is out of stock, but my LHBS has them.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #462
earwig

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Awesome, thanks again. I can't believe this thread isn't a sticky.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #463
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

thats probably because i didn't type the initital posts with proper punctuation

Nah, the partial mash thread is stickied...and they kinda link to each other through my posts.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #464
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Worth noting that this is the output I get from the Brewheads.com efficiency calculator...

100% Efficiency 1.084
Your Efficiency 83.1
SRM Color 4.0

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #465
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just started a brew using this method. It seems to be going swimmingly.

I am using 16lbs of grain so I am glad I have been hitting the gym because I am going to need it to drain the grain. I'll post my efficiencies once I determine them.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #466
petergriffen
Recipes 

So my first all grain. Can anyone walk me though this a little further. I have 2 pots 1 22qt (5.5 gallon pot), 1 16qt (4 gallon pot). I am making an alt. Going to mash at 148 degrees. There is 10lb 4oz of grain.
I know the pots could be a bit bigger but which should I being using for mash and sparge. So which should I be using for which. When mashing so low how long should I go for?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #467
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Deathbrewer, your all grain stovetop method is a great post that gives people with limited space hope.

I have a question, what do you think about the idea of using 2 stove burners and "Splitting" their grain mashing into 2 pots. so 1/2 done on 1 burner and the other 1/2 done on the other. It would take 2 grain bags, but would be more effective IMO for people limited in space. Also, it is really easy to find 2 x 5 gallon stainless Stock pots.

Also it is easier/faster to boil 2 gallons of water than it is to boil higher amouts on your stove top, Especially in stainless pots.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #468
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Go to the Green Bay Rackers calculators: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Check out the "Can I Mash It?" section:
With 10.25 lbs of grain at 1.25qt/lb, you are going to use 4 gallons of space, so you cannot use your 4 gallon pot (you need room for the bag and to stir.)

I would suggest using the larger pot for your mash and mashing for about 60 minutes. Then, pour over some of your sparge (pour over the grain and into the mash pot) before moving to the sparge pot. This will ensure you are not going to spill over in the sparge pot and will also increase your efficiency.

Wrap your mash pot in some blankets or something to try and maintain that 148°F temp, but don't worry too much if it drops down over the hour.

Use the Strike Temperature Calculator to determine your strike water temp to get yourself at 148°F. Good luck on the alt...they can be fantastic beers.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #469
petergriffen
Recipes 

Instead of pouring some of my sprage water over the graints iinto the wort, should I just have more water in my strike pot to start. Instead of using 3 shold I bump it up to 3.75. That way I will only need 2.25 gal in the sprage pot. Am I thinking correctly here?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #470
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
This was a 5 gallon batch, but if you start your boil with 5 gallons at the beginning of your boil, you will need to top off at the end.

Yea, my limitation is a 5.5 gallon (24qt) kettle, and when I get my numbers down, I can sparge so I am right at the top of the kettle, and slowly bring to a boil to get a little space for the hot break. Doing it this way only yields me with 4.5 gallons at the most, and often less.

To combat this, and often when I get lazy (and don't crunch the numbers), I will sparge with more, top off my kettle, and save the left over sparge water for adding back into the kettle once a good amount has boiled off. Of course, if you plan on gaining gravity points from boiling, this won't help, but it gets me to my 5 gallon mark.

Quick Reply