Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #1021
scottsaxman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can boil a slightly lesser volume and use top up water to get to a 5 gallon batch size. But yes, at least a 7 gallon pot would be preferred.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #1022
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden
I suppose he does say 6+ gallon pot, but having done this method of BIAB for a couple dozen batches, I know I couldn't do a 5 gallon batch with a 6 gallon pot. Mashing and sparging would work, but the boil would be trouble. I was brewing 4.25 gallon batches and would need a pre-boil volume of about 5.5 gallons. Boil-off will vary a bit by setup, of course, and deadspace varies, too. But you get the idea. If I were doing 5 gallons into the fermenter, I would've been at the brim or over a 6 gallon pot. FWIW, I boiled in a very cheap aluminum 7.5 gallon pot. Got mine for $28 with shipping. It's the same diameter as my 5 gallon pot, just taller. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just want to share another BIAB stovetop brewer's experience and perspective!
Thanks for the idea. I realized I could get an 8 gal pot at the local Latin grocery. $25 and I'm good to go. Just going to research the method a little more and maybe I'll be BIAB by a week or two.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1023
bionara
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

This looks fantastic, thank you for the time and effort that's gone into its documentation. Going to give it a go over the weekend (first all grain brew). Exciting times indeed.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1024
fugazzi
Recipes 

I've been doing this method for four years. In order to do a full mash, around 1.25 qt/lb for 10lb of grain, and a full boil of 6.5 gallons, I'd highly recommend a 6g pot for the mash and at least a 8g pot for the boil, but that would be stretching it. I use a 10g pot and it's zero worries on boilovers. This 10g pot is the cheapest 10g pot I've found, and it works great. I bought my 6g from a local restaurant supply store. It may have been more expensive than the 10g.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #1025
rockharrier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done five partial mashes using DB's partial mashing thread, and I'm going to step up to this all-grain method for my next brew...very excited to try it!

My question is related to which of my available equipment I should use for mashing, knowing that a big key to retaining temperature is to reduce headspace.

I've got a 34 qt kettle and a 40 qt kettle, as well as a 5-gal insulated plastic Coleman drink cooler at my disposal. My brew has 9.25 lb grain, and according to Brewsmith I will need about 3.6 gallons of space for my mash (water volume + grain). Given that my two brew kettles are so large, would it be better for me to throw my grain bag in the 5-gal cooler, screw on the lid, and call it good? And then I would sparge and boil in the 40 qt kettle, which is what I usually use for the boil (I use an outdoor burner).

Sorry if this has already come up (I'm only 52 pages into this thread)...

Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #1026
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Also sorry if this has come up before, but with this method, isn't it a tad tricky pouring 3 or 4 gallons of wort from one pot into another? Is there any trick here or is it just a case of drafting someone in to help you pour?

I was thinking to make this step a little easier, and also save on the need for TWO pots - once the mash is finished I would place a bucket on the floor (or stool or something) - it could just be the clean fermentor - and syphon the wort down into it and then use the pot for the sparge. Then there would just be one lift - of the bucket with the main wort in, up onto something higher in the kitchen, and I would syphon back into the sparge water for the final boil (and wash the fermentor - though I expect some would insist on sanitising it again - before syphoning the final wort back into it for pitching and fermenting).

Sound like a plan? Only I don't feel like buying TWO pots right now!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #1027
rockharrier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In answer to my own question, yes, the cooler works great. I ended up with 71% efficiency the first try. Got the first beer bottled, and it tasted pretty good at bottling time. Kind of a slippery slope...it's not much harder to do a partial mash than extract + specialty grains...and then not much harder to do this all grain method compared to partial mash. Really no good reason NOT to be doing this, as long as you have two pots. Good stuff.

In answer to markowe, I don't have any problem pouring from one pot to another. I do the mashing and sparge on the floor though, which may help. That, and I have the strength of 10 men.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #1028
chuckalhashib
Recipes 

Default Pictures Missing

Is it just me, or are all the pictures from the original posts missing?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #1029
Balog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckalhashib View Post
Is it just me, or are all the pictures from the original posts missing?
It is not just you.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 AM   #1030
puttster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

it is irritating. A sticky thread with 100 pages based on a post that has the pics deleted.

Quick Reply