Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #1011
NewWestBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default No big second pot

Just wondering if there is anything wrong with heating up sparge water in a couple of pots then putting the water and grains in plastic ferment pale for 10 mins..sanitized of course.

Total BIAB newb here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #1012
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That sounds fine. I've been doing side-by-side small batches recently and I heat my water on the stove, and BIAB mash in a bucket while I work on cleanup and the next batch.

The beauty of this system is that it will work with whatever equipment you have available. You just have to find the process that works best for you and your space.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #1013
Yrogerg1089
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk47 View Post
Is there any problems with heating the 1st runnings in your brew kettle while you are sparging? I'm thinking it will help to streamline and shorten the brewday if I have these almost to boiling prior to adding the 2nd runnings.
+1 bump. I too have been wondering this

Here’s to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer—and another one!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #1014
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk47 View Post
Is there any problems with heating the 1st runnings in your brew kettle while you are sparging? I'm thinking it will help to streamline and shorten the brewday if I have these almost to boiling prior to adding the 2nd runnings.
Nope, go for it. Saves time and hurts nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestBrewer View Post
Just wondering if there is anything wrong with heating up sparge water in a couple of pots then putting the water and grains in plastic ferment pale for 10 mins..sanitized of course.

Total BIAB newb here.
As long as the water/grains aren't much hotter than mash temp there's no problem with this. There's also no need to sanitize it, you're going to boil the wort anyways. Just make sure it's clean.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #1015
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This post has me riveted. I can' wait to get a 6 gallon pot. This is just what I needed. I learned today that AG is much cheaper than PM. With that being said, I thought I wouldn't be able to get to AG for a very long time considering my resources at home. Now that I have found this thread, the prospect of doing all grain are great!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #1016
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBrew View Post
This post has me riveted. I can' wait to get a 6 gallon pot. This is just what I needed. I learned today that AG is much cheaper than PM. With that being said, I thought I wouldn't be able to get to AG for a very long time considering my resources at home. Now that I have found this thread, the prospect of doing all grain are great!
I hope you just mistyped that because with a 6 gallon pot you will be limited to slightly less than 4 gallons of beer in a batch. An 8 gallon pot would give you room for the amount needed to account for boil off in the hour long boil plus headroom for the hot break foam but just barely. Bigger would be better.

Or am I misunderstanding what your 6 gallon pot would be used for?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #1017
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I hope you just mistyped that because with a 6 gallon pot you will be limited to slightly less than 4 gallons of beer in a batch. An 8 gallon pot would give you room for the amount needed to account for boil off in the hour long boil plus headroom for the hot break foam but just barely. Bigger would be better.

Yeah, I did 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and it was a little nerve-wracking sometimes due to pre-boil volume and the potential for boilovers. Doable for sure, but the bigger the better.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1018
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Yeah, I did 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and it was a little nerve-wracking sometimes due to pre-boil volume and the potential for boilovers. Doable for sure, but the bigger the better.
Well, according to the original post, Death Brewer says that you can brew an All Grain batch using at minimum, one 5 gallon pot (which I already have) and one 6 gallon pot. I realize that the bigger your pot, the better, but I am limited on space.

The mash happens with about 3 gallons in the 5 gallon pot with about a gallon of loss from the grains absorbing it. The sparge happens in the 6 gallon pot. After all the wort is combined, it totals about 5 gallons. Just enough to have a full boil in a 6 gallon pot.

Although I'm paraphrasing Death Brewer here (I'm sure you read the original post), I know that I really won't understand how it works until I try it. Hopefully that will be soon.

Anyone else have a go at this method with a 6 gal pot?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #1019
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBrew View Post
Well, according to the original post, Death Brewer says that you can brew an All Grain batch using at minimum, one 5 gallon pot (which I already have) and one 6 gallon pot. I realize that the bigger your pot, the better, but I am limited on space.
I suppose he does say 6+ gallon pot, but having done this method of BIAB for a couple dozen batches, I know I couldn't do a 5 gallon batch with a 6 gallon pot. Mashing and sparging would work, but the boil would be trouble.

I was brewing 4.25 gallon batches and would need a pre-boil volume of about 5.5 gallons. Boil-off will vary a bit by setup, of course, and deadspace varies, too. But you get the idea. If I were doing 5 gallons into the fermenter, I would've been at the brim or over a 6 gallon pot.

FWIW, I boiled in a very cheap aluminum 7.5 gallon pot. Got mine for $28 with shipping. It's the same diameter as my 5 gallon pot, just taller.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, just want to share another BIAB stovetop brewer's experience and perspective!

Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #1020
ChefBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden
I suppose he does say 6+ gallon pot, but having done this method of BIAB for a couple dozen batches, I know I couldn't do a 5 gallon batch with a 6 gallon pot. Mashing and sparging would work, but the boil would be trouble. I was brewing 4.25 gallon batches and would need a pre-boil volume of about 5.5 gallons. Boil-off will vary a bit by setup, of course, and deadspace varies, too. But you get the idea. If I were doing 5 gallons into the fermenter, I would've been at the brim or over a 6 gallon pot. FWIW, I boiled in a very cheap aluminum 7.5 gallon pot. Got mine for $28 with shipping. It's the same diameter as my 5 gallon pot, just taller. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just want to share another BIAB stovetop brewer's experience and perspective!
I really appreciate the advice. I definitely do not want things to go wrong. Your feedback is just the kind of thing I need. I do not plan on rushing in to this. The first step for me is getting a bigger pot. My 5 gallon is aluminum, I never even considered that the bigger pot would be aluminum too. I guess I'm being too particular. If I got a 7.5 or 8 gallon aluminum, it would be much cheaper and it would happen a lot sooner.

Thanks for the insight. I could use more of it.

Quick Reply