The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #981
kryznic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome Beerman, thanks for the great advice, that is exactly what I needed Going to get a recipe together and try my first run next weekend when my fermenter is free'd up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #982
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Taste it. It should be sweet. If you are unsure, you can do a conversion test with iodine.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-...09/#post367959

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #983
wiescins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My brewing buddy and I have used this as a base for our brewing process. Please make comments on our technique, we would like to know if it's a good one, or if we can improve it.

We have 2x 2gal pots and 2x 5gal kettles. We want to maintain a full boil and 5gal batches, so we do 2 half batches and combine in the primary. Our typical recipe is 5lbs 2-row + up to 3lbs specialty (8lbs max total grain), then suppliment with 2lbs 10oz DME (buy 3 lbs and use 6oz for 2L starter).

First step is getting the 2x 2gal pots (filled with 1.5gal water) to 165F, add grain bag + 4lbs grain (50% each item on grain bill), cover, and place in oven at 150F. We leave them both for 60min.

At 60min the first is removed, grain bag drains, place colander between pot and grain bag, dump ~0.5gal of 170F (from 5gal kettle) over grains, drain, then "sparge" by tea bagging with remaining water in 5gal kettle @ 170F (total water, prior to 0.5 gal dump over grains, is 2gal), finally combine and bring to boil and add hops accordingly (all @ 50% recipe and w/ DME @ 10min remaining).

When the 1st kettle breaks and the 60min clock starts, we remove the second 2gal pot and repeat, this gives us ~30min separation between the end of the 2 boils. We have an immersion wort chiller to get us to temp (70F) in ~20min.

We dump the second wort on top of the first, give a whirl, take an OG, pitch the 2L starter.

We live in small condo's in Chicago, so we don't have room for much equipment and don't have space to brew outside. This method allows us to have a "full boil" and mash @ 1.5qts/lb. Our calculations show each kettle starts at 3.06gal and ends at about 2.45gal, so our end batch is 4.9gal, the big starter takes us just over the 5gal mark.

Thought? Critique’s?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #984
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Have you calculated your efficiency? If you are 69+%, then you are golden.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #985
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you DeathBrewer. I ran across this post a couple of months ago after completing a few extract brews with my father in law. I tried to convince him to go partial, but couldn't get him to listen. I just completed my first batch on MY new equipment (a partial mash Widmer Drifter pale ale clone) and it could not have gone better thanks to your advice. FIL came over & was impressed by how simple & efficient the process was...Don't be scared noobs, it is fun & easy!!! I actually ended up about 18 points over my estimated SG...guess that efficiency is pretty damn good!!! These forums have kept me from committing so many noob mistakes, not to mention kept me from posting many noob concerns. I have always been able to find the answers I needed right here. This batch was my first partial mash, first liquid yeast, first yeast starter, and first solo run, and all went great once I got all my sh*t together! Thanks again & I'll keep y'all posted on the results of this fine brew day.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #986
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I did my first PM today (spotted cow clone/pepper beer base) and it went pretty good, and a lot easier than I thought it would be. In fact, it's just as easy as a straight extract batch. I did have a little trouble with my mash temp, so I hope I didn't screw it up too bad there, but I was 4 points over than my target OG so it must be okay. I tasted the wort and it was nice and sweet, had a great golden color. I'm excited for this beer.

I didn't read the whole thread though, so it probably has been discussed, but can I do full boils? Basically after mashing/sparging on the stove, put the wort and fill to pre-boil level in the turkey fryer and move it outside to do the boil?

I'm gonna be doing PMs consistently from now on. Also, I haven't checked yet, does Beersmith convert extract + steeping grains to partial mash?

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #987
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Sure you can do a full boil. If you are, you may wish to check out my all-grain mashing, in my sig, go full grain with your current setup. (as long as you have a big enough pot)

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #988
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Cool, will do..

thanks for the late night answer.. I see I'm not the only vamp on here.. haha

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #989
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im gearing up to brew my first partial as soon as the kit arrives from AHB (chocolate orange holiday ale) - this is very very helpful - thank you

Old 09-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #990
ejyoung
Recipes 

I used this method today for a Winter Welcome clone and hit 75% efficiency - right on my 1.071 OG that Beer Smith estimated. Thanks for the info!

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply