Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #911
nspaldi0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I apologize if this has already been asked, but what is the best way to tell if the grains are resting on the bottom of the pan? I am assuming you don't want the grains to be on the bottom of the pan or am I completely wrong? I didn't know if this would scorch them. Thanks for any help, and this is a great thread. Thanks DB...going to try a partial-mash Oberon clone from AHS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #912
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

They can rest at the bottom of the pan, because you should never apply heat once your grains are in the pot. You only heat the water and eventually the wort.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #913
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking after I posted about a full size mash/lauter tun and the grains resting in the bottom or on the false bottom...sorry I should have thought about it more before asking the question. One more question, when using the strike water calculator, I am assuming the temp of grain setting is room temp of the grain? Or do you just leave it at 60 regardless? Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #914
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

I actually throw a floating thermometer (dry) into the grain. It really varies with my storage areas (car, basement, room, etc.) and can be anywhere from 60-80°F, which can really make a difference in the calculations.

If you throw it in wet, it will grab grain around itself and make a little insulator, so make sure it's good and dry before you throw it in the dusty grain, or you'll get an incorrect reading. Let it sit for 5 minutes, check and let it sit again.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #915
knappster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaldi0 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking after I posted about a full size mash/lauter tun and the grains resting in the bottom or on the false bottom...sorry I should have thought about it more before asking the question. One more question, when using the strike water calculator, I am assuming the temp of grain setting is room temp of the grain? Or do you just leave it at 60 regardless? Thanks again!
It's room temperature of the grain as long as your grains are at room temperature. It's just calculating what temperature the water should be in order for the mixture of grain and water to match your strike temperature. So the colder the grain is the warmer the water will have to be and vice versa.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #916
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Oh, and grains resting on the false bottom is inevitable for a mash tun. In fact, that's how you get a nice filter bed...from recirculating and getting the little particles out while creating a tight bed against the false bottom.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #917
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate your answers! I'll have to send some brew your way! If it turns out haha

Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #918
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
They can rest at the bottom of the pan, because you should never apply heat once your grains are in the pot. You only heat the water and eventually the wort.
What should I do if, during the mash my temp drops too much. Add some heated water? I shouldn't add heat to the pot?

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #919
electronjunkie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks Deathrbrewer for this pictorial and explanation. I just brewed my beer using this method, a Belgian Blonde, and kegged it yesterday. It was my second batch ever.

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.009

Had a question though. What happens if I added heat during the Mash? It didn't really need it but I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. Grains weren't touching the bottom as far as I could tell.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #920
RC4U12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Thanks Deathrbrewer for this pictorial and explanation. I just brewed my beer using this method, a Belgian Blonde, and kegged it yesterday. It was my second batch ever.

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.009

Had a question though. What happens if I added heat during the Mash? It didn't really need it but I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. Grains weren't touching the bottom as far as I could tell.
I 'm very sure you havent hurt your mash at all..its not like you turned the burner on high and left it..the heat is dissapated very fast withthe water in there..I have put the burner on many time to get a few more degrees..with the good pots that have the encapsulated bottoms you just have to watch your timing so you dont over heat..I do aggree with Deatbrewer that you really shouldnt heat the mash and get more practice so you dont have to ..which means more beer!!

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply