Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #801
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,825
Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Default

Take out the wheat dry extract and instead mash with 2 lbs of wheat malt in addition to your 2 lbs of flaked wheat. Having a larger mash will also help you to maintain temperature.

I think Biermuncher made a mistake with that recipe when he made it into a partial mash. That is an extract and steeping recipe.

__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #802
jamie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 142
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Take out the wheat dry extract and instead mash with 2 lbs of wheat malt in addition to your 2 lbs of flaked wheat. Having a larger mash will also help you to maintain temperature.

I think Biermuncher made a mistake with that recipe when he made it into a partial mash. That is an extract and steeping recipe.
ok i will try out what you mentioned. thanks for the help!

jamie
__________________
jamie3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #803
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 696
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Just finished my first partial mash. Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. I might not have ever tried partial mashing if I had not seen this.

I did the PM recipe in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/kona...g-clone-52220/

The grain bill was 2 lbs pale, 1.75 munich, .5 honey, and then 4.5 DME. Ended up at 1.054@73 degrees... Under what beer alchemy told me (1.058) but not too bad.

__________________
jigidyjim is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #804
jamie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 142
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigidyjim View Post
Just finished my first partial mash. Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. I might not have ever tried partial mashing if I had not seen this.

I did the PM recipe in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/kona...g-clone-52220/

The grain bill was 2 lbs pale, 1.75 munich, .5 honey, and then 4.5 DME. Ended up at 1.054@73 degrees... Under what beer alchemy told me (1.058) but not too bad.
i know what im brewing next!

cheers!
__________________
jamie3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #805
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Just curious if it's a course or fine nylon grain bag that's used in this process? I'm getting ready for my first PM and want to make sure I have the right equipment.

__________________
fotomatt1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #806
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,825
Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Default

Either will work. Coarse let's more grain through...fine drains faster.

__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #807
Daparish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 149
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I'm doing a PM this weekend, Deathbrewer, and I wonder if you could tell me if a few of the assumptions that I have about the process are correct:

1. I assume that mashing for 60 minutes as opposed to 30 minutes will give me better conversion of my base grains. Is this correct?

2. Also, you stated that the longer the grain is steeped in sparge water and the more sparge water that is used, the better conversion will be (with diminishing returns after a point, of course), is the same true for mash water? Is there any benfit to using 2 qt/lb or above if you can get away with it in your brewpot?

__________________
Daparish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #808
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,825
Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Default

1. Not necessarily. Conversion is done when it is done. It could happen in 10 minutes (and most of it usually does), but leaving it longer will help to ENSURE that conversion is complete. Those little enzymes are kinda sketchy...I don't trust 'em.

2. It's not better conversion you're getting at that point, it's better extraction. Basically, after the conversion takes place, the grains need to be rinsed or the sugars you converted will just cling to the grain.

2b. I use about 1.4-1.5qt/lb. It does help to have more water, but there is a breaking point. I definitely wouldn't go above 2qt/lb for your mash, because the water/grain ratio is very important for conversion. It's not as important for extraction (except that if you get far too much water, you could extract tannins, but that's not really a concern with this method.)

One trick I've learned is, if you have a colander, you can give the grains a quick rinse with some of the sparge water over the mash pot...and then put them in the sparge. This rinses off some of the sugars into the mash pot and doesn't leave them clinging when they go in the sparge. Some people do ONLY a pour-over sparge and it can work fairly well. I find the combination gets the best efficiency.

__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #809
Daparish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 149
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
1. Not necessarily. Conversion is done when it is done. It could happen in 10 minutes (and most of it usually does), but leaving it longer will help to ENSURE that conversion is complete. Those little enzymes are kinda sketchy...I don't trust 'em.

2. It's not better conversion you're getting at that point, it's better extraction. Basically, after the conversion takes place, the grains need to be rinsed or the sugars you converted will just cling to the grain.

2b. I use about 1.4-1.5qt/lb. It does help to have more water, but there is a breaking point. I definitely wouldn't go above 2qt/lb for your mash, because the water/grain ratio is very important for conversion. It's not as important for extraction (except that if you get far too much water, you could extract tannins, but that's not really a concern with this method.)

One trick I've learned is, if you have a colander, you can give the grains a quick rinse with some of the sparge water over the mash pot...and then put them in the sparge. This rinses off some of the sugars into the mash pot and doesn't leave them clinging when they go in the sparge. Some people do ONLY a pour-over sparge and it can work fairly well. I find the combination gets the best efficiency.
Thanks for the uick response DB. Conversion v. extraction is an important distinction that I'll be cognizant of in the futer.
__________________
Daparish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #810
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,825
Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Default

Yeah, it can be confusing between conversion, extraction and efficiency.

Conversion = The enzymes converting complex starches into simpler sugars during your mash.
Extraction = The sugars that are rinsed off the grains during your run-off/sparge.
Efficiency = The amount of sugar in solution given the amount of grain and volume of wort.

Important distinction and I think it's the first time it's come up in this thread. Thanks for the notice...I'm planning to do a new how-to which will be all-inclusive of details like this.

__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...
DeathBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial mash vs extract brewing cell All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 33 08-30-2014 02:16 PM
Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1026 03-06-2014 02:43 AM
Easy Partial Mash- Hefeweissen recipe? syd138 Recipes/Ingredients 14 02-09-2009 08:21 PM
Is it time for me to try partial mash brewing? TheH2 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 07-16-2007 01:38 PM
pics of my second brew.. partial mash BeerLuvnGrl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 05-01-2006 03:10 AM