Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #801
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Take out the wheat dry extract and instead mash with 2 lbs of wheat malt in addition to your 2 lbs of flaked wheat. Having a larger mash will also help you to maintain temperature.

I think Biermuncher made a mistake with that recipe when he made it into a partial mash. That is an extract and steeping recipe.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #802
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Take out the wheat dry extract and instead mash with 2 lbs of wheat malt in addition to your 2 lbs of flaked wheat. Having a larger mash will also help you to maintain temperature.

I think Biermuncher made a mistake with that recipe when he made it into a partial mash. That is an extract and steeping recipe.
ok i will try out what you mentioned. thanks for the help!

jamie

Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #803
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just finished my first partial mash. Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. I might not have ever tried partial mashing if I had not seen this.

I did the PM recipe in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/kona...g-clone-52220/

The grain bill was 2 lbs pale, 1.75 munich, .5 honey, and then 4.5 DME. Ended up at 1.054@73 degrees... Under what beer alchemy told me (1.058) but not too bad.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #804
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigidyjim View Post
Just finished my first partial mash. Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread. I might not have ever tried partial mashing if I had not seen this.

I did the PM recipe in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/kona...g-clone-52220/

The grain bill was 2 lbs pale, 1.75 munich, .5 honey, and then 4.5 DME. Ended up at 1.054@73 degrees... Under what beer alchemy told me (1.058) but not too bad.
i know what im brewing next!

cheers!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #805
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just curious if it's a course or fine nylon grain bag that's used in this process? I'm getting ready for my first PM and want to make sure I have the right equipment.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #806
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Either will work. Coarse let's more grain through...fine drains faster.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #807
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm doing a PM this weekend, Deathbrewer, and I wonder if you could tell me if a few of the assumptions that I have about the process are correct:

1. I assume that mashing for 60 minutes as opposed to 30 minutes will give me better conversion of my base grains. Is this correct?

2. Also, you stated that the longer the grain is steeped in sparge water and the more sparge water that is used, the better conversion will be (with diminishing returns after a point, of course), is the same true for mash water? Is there any benfit to using 2 qt/lb or above if you can get away with it in your brewpot?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #808
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

1. Not necessarily. Conversion is done when it is done. It could happen in 10 minutes (and most of it usually does), but leaving it longer will help to ENSURE that conversion is complete. Those little enzymes are kinda sketchy...I don't trust 'em.

2. It's not better conversion you're getting at that point, it's better extraction. Basically, after the conversion takes place, the grains need to be rinsed or the sugars you converted will just cling to the grain.

2b. I use about 1.4-1.5qt/lb. It does help to have more water, but there is a breaking point. I definitely wouldn't go above 2qt/lb for your mash, because the water/grain ratio is very important for conversion. It's not as important for extraction (except that if you get far too much water, you could extract tannins, but that's not really a concern with this method.)

One trick I've learned is, if you have a colander, you can give the grains a quick rinse with some of the sparge water over the mash pot...and then put them in the sparge. This rinses off some of the sugars into the mash pot and doesn't leave them clinging when they go in the sparge. Some people do ONLY a pour-over sparge and it can work fairly well. I find the combination gets the best efficiency.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #809
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
1. Not necessarily. Conversion is done when it is done. It could happen in 10 minutes (and most of it usually does), but leaving it longer will help to ENSURE that conversion is complete. Those little enzymes are kinda sketchy...I don't trust 'em.

2. It's not better conversion you're getting at that point, it's better extraction. Basically, after the conversion takes place, the grains need to be rinsed or the sugars you converted will just cling to the grain.

2b. I use about 1.4-1.5qt/lb. It does help to have more water, but there is a breaking point. I definitely wouldn't go above 2qt/lb for your mash, because the water/grain ratio is very important for conversion. It's not as important for extraction (except that if you get far too much water, you could extract tannins, but that's not really a concern with this method.)

One trick I've learned is, if you have a colander, you can give the grains a quick rinse with some of the sparge water over the mash pot...and then put them in the sparge. This rinses off some of the sugars into the mash pot and doesn't leave them clinging when they go in the sparge. Some people do ONLY a pour-over sparge and it can work fairly well. I find the combination gets the best efficiency.
Thanks for the uick response DB. Conversion v. extraction is an important distinction that I'll be cognizant of in the futer.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #810
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Yeah, it can be confusing between conversion, extraction and efficiency.

Conversion = The enzymes converting complex starches into simpler sugars during your mash.
Extraction = The sugars that are rinsed off the grains during your run-off/sparge.
Efficiency = The amount of sugar in solution given the amount of grain and volume of wort.

Important distinction and I think it's the first time it's come up in this thread. Thanks for the notice...I'm planning to do a new how-to which will be all-inclusive of details like this.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply