Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #481
Jeffo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Although I've read the whole thread in the past, I can't remember if these questions were asked:

-Does it matter if you pour the mash wort into the sparge water or vice versa?

-Why do you prefer DME? (Maybe that's for other threads but I was interested in your opinion.) I was surprised how expensive it is, even though a little less is needed.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #482
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

DME mixes well and doesn't scourch like LME, but mainly it's the convenience of storage.

I actually prefer the Wheat LME from briess over their DME. It tastes awesome...I think maybe because it carmelizes a bit during the boil? I dunno...

You are supposed to pour the wort into the sparge using this method. It's either that, or boil them in separate pots.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #483
brad97z
Recipes 

Deatherbrewer, thanks for the write up! Gave this a shot yesterday and it worked out great.

If you were to do a full 5 gallon boil recipe, how would you use the extra water? In the sparging pot?

I have a large colander and was curious, after sparging, would there be a benefit in efficiency to running some additional hot water over the grains until the water for the boil was topped off?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #484
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Yes, you would use extra water in the sparge pot and some additional water poured over the top will increase efficiency. I wouldn't do too much, tho, you can oversparge and extract tannins from the grains. Maybe ½ gallon poured over after dunking, the rest in the sparge pot. There may be some additional info in my Stovetop All-Grain Brewing thread.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #485
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, DeathBrewer, you inspired me to get some more equipment and make my upcoming batches a partial-mash 5 gallon and an all grain 2.5. My poor wallet....but thanks to your help I realized most of this was stuff I wanted for doing larger extract boils. Now, I just hope my apartment stove can keep up.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #486
BADS197
Recipes 

I'm going to make the jump this weekend on a partial mash based off your instructions.

I'm going to aim for 6.5-7 gallons of wort to boil down to 5 so hopefully i'll have a good 5 gallons when I'm done.

Thanks!

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #487
bgough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Db.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a protein rest at 122 for my witbier using your stovetop method.

If so, should I add boiling water to get up to mashing temp afterwards, or use direct heat while stirring?

Last edited by bgough; 05-27-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #488
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Direct heat is difficult with an electric burner, but may be possible with a gas flame. Just remember that it will rise a few degrees after you turn the heat off.

I personally would go for an infusion mash for your first time...direct heat can be tough with a small volume on stovetop. Go for a thick ratio, so that you don't have to add too much water to get to temp.

Or, even better, use a decoction mash. I love doing a decoction and have never had trouble hitting my temps.

Promash can help determine your steps and how much to add. So can beersmith and many online calculators.

I can't go home for a few hours, but you're making me want to brew. I might actually have to do an extract batch tonight

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #489
uabericm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome write up. I am trying to verify what I have read. I just purchased a few kits from AHB (mini-mash) and was going to follow your steps.

The Nut Brown I have only has 2.5lbs of grains to mash, so then would I only need 3.125 quarts of water? Sure doesn't seem like enough? And then how much do I boil in the sparge pot?

Another homemade recipe nut brown kit has 4.5lbs of grains, so I would need 5.625 quarts of water? And how much sparge water?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #490
Nubandit
Recipes 

Default Need for starter?

Deathbrewer, awesome how to!!

I am new to brewing and this site so please bear with me. I have not had the pleasure of a first brew yet, however I have read every comment on all 49 pages of this thread and I was hoping that someone could give me some guidance about the process of adding yeast before I begin. I have heard people on other threads talk about using a starter and seen some recipe using brown sugar/corn syrup added with the yeast.

Deathbrewer, could you please clarify the process about adding the yeast. Specifically the need for a starter or adding any sugars. I would love to brew your Dunkelweizen and Hefeweizens recipe that you listed but I dont want to miss some obviously simple step. Thanks!

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply