New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #221
GoNova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First, DB, you are doing a great service to beginners like me. Inspired by this thread, I ordered my first partial mash kit (Hefeweizen) from Austin Homebrew. I was surprised (disappointed?) that the kit came with only 2lbs of grain. Was expecting 5-6 lbs.

I would like to get your take on my planned procedure. My main concern is my kettles. I've got a 4gal, 3gal, and 2gal.

I had planned on mashing in my 3 gal kettle with 2.5 quarts of water (using your suggestion of 1.25 quarts per pound of grain). Does this sound about right? This should leave me with about 1.5 quarts of wort after the 60 minute sparge, right?

Then, I would sparge in my 4 gal kettle with 6 quarts of water. After I add my 1.5 quarts of wort from the mash, I should have about 7.5 quarts of wort. Will this be enough room in my kettle for the liquid extract?

Thanks a ton in advance. I'm trying your all grain method next!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #222
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

i would use the 2 gallon kettle for your mash, assuming you have a lid for it. you'll have less headspace, which will help maintain temp.

when you say 60 minute "sparge" i'm assuming you mean "mash"...sparge should only be about 10 minutes.

The rest sounds fine...there should still be about a gallon of room left. be sure to stir that extract well to add and while you're bringing to a boil...it will want to carmelize even more with that small amount of water.

let me know how it goes!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #223
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, sorry, I meant 60 minute mash. Thanks very much QUICK for the advice.

One last question...I was thinking of using a "late extract" addition. Will the post-sparge wort be okay to utilize the hops without the extract? Can I withhold all of the extract until close to the end of my boil?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #224
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

you'll probably have to cut down the hops.

what are your hops Alpha Acid content? i'm assuming you just have hops for bittering or are there flavor and aroma hops?

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #225
jcole
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
generally 70%+...i can easily get 75% if i take my time, hit my temps, and use enough water.
Ok, thanks. I'll start with assuming 70%.

Quote:
steeping is entirely different than mashing. specialty grains cannot be "mashed" without the presence of base malts. What you are buying are probably "extract with steeping grains" recipes.
Yeah, I think you're right. The recipe kits that I have been getting were from Austin Home Brew (as the poster above also mentioned). As far as I know, the grains provided are really for steeping.

Quote:
didn't account for your base malt? it's hard to screw up beer, isn't it?
Yep. The OG was through the roof after I spent significant time mashing the steeping grains provided in the kit. I'm still trying to lock down a good method for me and experimenting with recipes.

Quote:
are you using this method? give me an example of one of your recipes and i could maybe help out.
I used it on my last brew of Sterling Gold and came much closer to my target OG and FG.

Quote:
again, let me know if you would like any recipe help. i really enjoy recipe formulation and i've gotten fairly good at it...plus i use lots of references and understand what certain grains impart. experimentation with SIMPLE RECIPES is key.
Thanks DM. I really appreciate that. My next two brews are a second attempt at a custom clone recipe for a Scottish Pale Ale called Deuchars. On my first attempt I missed the OG, getting about 1.030 instead of the expected 1.042. I think it was because I steeped the grains instead of mashing them. So, I'm wondering if going with the last used recipe and your method will hit the target OG.

The other beer I'd like to brew next is a dry session stout ala Guinness. I had pretty good luck with Austin Home Brew's "Dry Stout" PM recipe, but it was a little higher in ABV than what I was hoping for. I'm shooting for 4% ABV. So I'm thinking of either cutting back on the extract a little in their recipe or a second attempt at a modified version I made here.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

John
Bottled : English Pale Ale

Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #226
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

it looks like the problem with your scottish pale was that you didn't mash properly.

the problem with dry stout recipe looks to be a reader error...you have to mix extract VERY WELL when you take a reading and it's almost certain that it will be a little off anyway. you may wish to take your reading pre-boil, before you add your extract. Then calculate by volume to get a more accurate reading. i think beersmith can help you with this. you're guaranteed to get fermentables from your extract so you won't need to measure...you can just calculate your og based on your efficiency from the grains.

anyway, from your past experience with these last couple of brews, i think you can easily lock down one of those recipes using this method. let me know if you have any more questions!

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #227
jcole
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
it looks like the problem with your scottish pale was that you didn't mash properly.
Thanks for the input DM. I'm going to try again with the Scottish Pale Ale and your method next weekend and see if I can get better efficiency mashing.

As far as you can tell, there's no need to tweak that recipe?

What temp would you target for mashing?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #228
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Quote:
2 lbs 11.1 oz Golden Promise (2L) Grain
6.3 oz Crystal Malt (60L) Grain
7.0 oz Torrified Wheat (1.5L) Grain

2 lbs 7.3 oz Extra Pale Malt Extract

2 oz Fuggles Hops
2 oz Williamette Hops
2 oz Styrian Goldings Hops

12.3 oz Turbinado Sugar

1 Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast
looks like a decent recipe to me, although that seems like a lot of hops for a scottish ale.

you've got some weird adjuncts in there, too, might i ask why you picked the torrified and sugar? could be good, just curious what you're going for.

the torrified adds a wonderful wheat flavor and the sugar will dry the beer out.

regarding mash...what kind of beer do you want? do you want it really thick and malty or dry or something in between?

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #229
jcole
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
looks like a decent recipe to me, although that seems like a lot of hops for a scottish ale.

you've got some weird adjuncts in there, too, might i ask why you picked the torrified and sugar? could be good, just curious what you're going for.

the torrified adds a wonderful wheat flavor and the sugar will dry the beer out.
Those are the ingredients we came up with add the beginning of the thread based on knowledge of the beer and input from the brewmaster from the brewery.

Deuchars is not a typical Pale Ale, but more of a lighter moderately hopped session ale. Its medium to light bodied per my recollection.

Quote:
regarding mash...what kind of beer do you want? do you want it really thick and malty or dry or something in between?
I'm thinking something in between. Not too malty for sure... but my first attempt came out a bit on the dry and thin side. I'd like to see a little more body, but still have it be well balanced and easily drinkable.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #230
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

i'd cut the turbinado in half and mash at 154-155°F. that will stop some of the dryness from the sugar and give you some nice flavor form the golden promise.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply