Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #1471
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Step 5.5 (EDIT)
Pour the wort from your original mash into the pot with the sparge water (now wort as well) or vice-versa. Try to minimize splashing, but don't worry about it. Put your heat to high and proceed to Step 6.

Step 6:
As the water heats up, i add my extract. Some people wait until it boils, then remove from heat and add, but i find my method makes it quicker with no undesirable effects...just be sure to stir well. I add all my extract at the beginning of the boil.

Step 7:
Start your boil as usual! I reuse the grain bag for the hops...less to clean overall and it keeps me cleaning as i go. I'll clean the rest of the pots at this point too...i need the sink free. I use the binder clips again (be sure if you have a gas burner that you keep that nylon bag from going over the side and setting on fire.)

I use a partial boil, and adjust my hops accordingly, shooting for the middle or top of the style.

Step 8:
Cooling...i use a water bath in the apartment. i change the water out 3 times over about a half-hour period...the last time i will add ice to speed it up.

Step 9:
Sanitization...I use iodophor or star-san. I sanitize anything that could possibly touch the yeast or the wort, in this case my two 2.5 gallon carboys, my airlocks, my sampler, my funnel and i even throw the yeast packets in there.

NOTE: This solution is a little heavy...your iodine water does not need to be this dark. Use the manufacturer's recommended dosage.

that looks about right to me aint gonna hurt anything.

"brewing beer is not complicated or expensive, it is up to each indiviual brewer* to decide how complicate and expensive they want to make it. (note: *insert brewer's wife were applicable)"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #1472
cramar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thanks....

Read this a few times and decided to go for it, brewed everything up last weekend and it's sitting in the fermentor, looking forward to tasting it asap.

Great instructions, thanks!!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #1473
StoatFloat
Recipes 

Using this method now. Thank you!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #1474
petey401
Recipes 

Can't wait to graduate from extract brewing but I've been plugging in most of these recipes and All the numbers are off,especially low abv.i am using both biab and partial mash in my program. What am I missing? Or should I just try one of the recipe and go with it

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #1475
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Whatever happened to death brewer, the OP ?

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #1476
702marine
Recipes 

Where do you get your grain?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #1477
702marine
Recipes 

and do you grind it?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #1478
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

^

You get the grain with any PM or AG recipe, or at your local HBS. And yes, you should have them to mill it.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #1479
jimmyjjohn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice write up and the pictures are great. This should be helpful to a lot of folks.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #1480
TxBigHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Thanks Deathbrewer! Really awesome thread. I just used this to make my first PM, after doing two extracts with steeping grains. I had to make some adjustments for different equipment. I have a 9 gallon kettle and the 5 gallon paint strainer was too small (duh), so I just let it sit at the bottom of the kettle and lifted it up a bit when I needed to stir the grain. Worked ok, I guess, but I don't think I had very good efficiency, so I'll be looking to put together a mash tun soon. Temps were down to 140 by the time I was done with the mash. I was hoping this method would allow me to do a few more PMs before investing in more equipment, but oh well, all grain here I come!

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply