Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1421
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2541 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidebrew View Post
I did my first BIAB last week (7 days ago) and it is a honey ale with 6 lbs of grain and 3 lbs of honey!

I'm brewing it for Memorial Day party etc...

However I've never used honey in a brew or White Labs 0001 before and of course I've never seen a fermentation look anything like this yet!

Possibly it's due to my lack of experience ( 11 batches so far )... But this looks like I'm making cottage cheese.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
What you have there is the classic wet popcorn cold break protiens settling out. You must've either topped off with really cold water (as I do) or used irish moss or the like. Nothing to worry about,& it'll compact down over time in primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #1422
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm considering buying this to give BIAB a try..any comments? My Brew pot is 4 Gallons

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Prod...9X29-MESH-BIAB

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #1423
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

At 29 x 29",it's more the size to easily fit over the lip all the way round my 5G,20QT SS BK/MT. It's a shrter wider SS stock pot with the bead near the bottom that holds a polished SS steamer tray. My 18 x 32" bag isn't quite wide enough. 22 x 28" or so would be better for my BK/MT. And 15 dollars on sale for "only 10 bucks is a little pricey! My lhbs only chrged me 7 bucks for the LD Carlson 18 x 32" bag I bought. The nylon is so easy to empty including hulls. And easy to clean stains off the nylon. A few dunks in a half sink of water & it's clean. quicker if it's warm water. So easy to clean & a pleasure to use. Very good investment regardless!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #1424
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm curious, would i be better off with the simple HomeDepot paint strainer bag?

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #1425
Lakesidebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr

What you have there is the classic wet popcorn cold break protiens settling out. You must've either topped off with really cold water (as I do) or used irish moss or the like. Nothing to worry about,& it'll compact down over time in primary.
I used the Camden tabs and I've used them many times before (except on wheats) never seeing anything quite this strange!

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #1426
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcadieux View Post
I'm curious, would i be better off with the simple HomeDepot paint strainer bag?
Many folks on here use the homer cheapo bags. I wanna see if they have a medium weave bag. This course weave is ok,but it lets about 1C of stuff through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidebrew View Post
I used the Camden tabs and I've used them many times before (except on wheats) never seeing anything quite this strange!

Thanks
Yeah,it's kinda strange at first,but does make for less haze come fridge time settling that stuff out.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #1427
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did my 5th brew last night, first time attempting a partial mash (previous batches were all extract/specialty grain). These instructions made it super easy, so a big thank you to DeathBrewer!

I ended up mashing at 154F (per kit instructions, Midwest Supplies Traditional Stout) in 2 gallons of water for 4.625 lbs of grain. Hit mash temps perfectly using the linked calculators on page 1. Covered my mash kettle with my SWMBO's snuggie (I'll have to call this one the Snuggie Stout), and only lost 1 degree F over the course of 70 mins. Removed grains and let drain/squeezed.

Sparged in 3.6 gallons of water (aiming for 5 gallons of wort) at 160F for 15 mins, stirring every 5 mins. Removed grains and again allowed to drain while squeezing.
Combined mash/sparge, stirred, and took a sample, which I allowed to cool to 70F while bringing the wort to a boil.

Preboil gravity put me around 78% efficiency! And here I had DME ready, expecting it to be below 70% for my first time.

It looks like I'll be doing BIAB partials from now on.
Only downside - it did take about an hour longer over extract/specialty grain recipes. Not a huge downside, though - just means I get to enjoy another home brew!

Edit: I had Midwest crush the grains twice, just an FYI.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #1428
Brewing_Butterball
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very nice post very informative, I am a new brewer and I currently have a West Coast Pale Ale in the primary. I have been doing tons of research as my next batch I want to try and do a partial grain Ruination style IPA. Thanks for the post

---Cheers!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #1429
Lakesidebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You must've either topped off with really cold water (as I do) or used irish moss or the like. Nothing to worry about,& it'll compact down over time in primary.
Thanks and yes I did use Whirlfloc tablet and the stuff seems pretty amazing so far. It is starting to Compact down but still has the original form just not quite as prevalent. Today is 3 weeks in Primary and was planning on moving it to a Keg but I am about to leave the house for an emergency business so I guess 3 more days won't hurt it. LOL... Hope not.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #1430
Xanatos903
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Definitely not. I leave my beers in the primary for longer than 3 weeks all the time. As long as you don't have some curious kids, you'll be fine.

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply