Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #1371
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

dummy question. how accurate would an OG reading be with a partial mash ??? being that you'd most likely top off with cold water wouldn't you run into the same issue of not getting the wort and the topoff water mixed in thoroughly to get an accurate reading??

and to rachel... yeah 1.030 for a that beer is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too high. 1.020 would be the HIGHEST you'd excpect it to stall at. I'd have warmed it up a tad and went from there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #1372
RichardMNixon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the guide! This seemed like a pretty effortless step up from steeping/extract so I gave it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Step 2:
I've tried this twice now but mine doesn't quite look like this (I should have taken a picture but never did). I use the same ratio of water to grains but it doesn't seem to be enough water to cover them. I don't have grains floating in water like that, I have a tiny island of grain poking out of the water that I'm worried isn't converting well. Is my bag too narrow? My brewpot(/mash tun) too wide? Or is there something stupid I'm doing wrong?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1373
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Made my first Partial Mash beer this weekend. This thread was a huge help in getting it done with confidence. Thanks to Death and everyone else who threw in their advice.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #1374
camp20
Recipes 

Great Guide DeathBrewer, I am only on page 21, have been reading for a while and I have a long ways to go...

I am a Newbie to say the least. DB you said you have done 2 1/2 gal batches. I would like to do a few 2 1/2 gal batches, can you help with a recipe or two. I am interested in the Dunkelweizen do I just half your recipe?. Red Ales and Octoberfest is a couple of my top beers.

I only have a 2 1/2 gal fermentor and a 3 gal brew pot right now so I am limited on my batches.

Thanks again

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #1375
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
how accurate would an OG reading be with a partial mash ??? being that you'd most likely top off with cold water wouldn't you run into the same issue of not getting the wort and the topoff water mixed in thoroughly to get an accurate reading??
I don't think that I would generalize most people likely to be topping off with cold water. Perhaps most people who use partial mash "kits" are topping off, however there is a whole population of brewers who are formulating their own partial mash recipes. But to answer your question, there are calculators for this. Google is your friend.

Partial Mash Brewing in its best form is very similar to full volume boil, All Grain Brewing with one huge difference... that being a portion of your fermentables is coming from extract.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #1376
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default testimonial!!

Thank You Deathbrewer!!

I started using this method last April, and have brewed about 20 batches using the general method. I started with a few "partial mash" recipes..essentially replacing most extract with grain...and now do mostly all grain recipes with the same basic method.

In fact, I have adjusted my efficiency assumption building recipes to 85% for smaller grain bills under 10 lbs...and 75% for larger grain bills where I use less mash water. I have done grain bills as large as 15lbs using this method, and could probably manage a few pounds more, but the efficiency will drop a touch.

I have a 35qt stock pot that just barely fits inside my oven. With the oven set at the lowest approx 150 degree setting....my starting mash temp will stay stable for the entire mash. This is true for any normal mash temp....the ambient temp inside the oven is "close enough" that any heat gain or loss is minimal. If my initial mash temp is 148, or 156....that temp will hold for as long as I want.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #1377
Xanatos903
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
Thank You Deathbrewer!!

I started using this method last April, and have brewed about 20 batches using the general method. I started with a few "partial mash" recipes..essentially replacing most extract with grain...and now do mostly all grain recipes with the same basic method.

In fact, I have adjusted my efficiency assumption building recipes to 85% for smaller grain bills under 10 lbs...and 75% for larger grain bills where I use less mash water. I have done grain bills as large as 15lbs using this method, and could probably manage a few pounds more, but the efficiency will drop a touch.

I have a 35qt stock pot that just barely fits inside my oven. With the oven set at the lowest approx 150 degree setting....my starting mash temp will stay stable for the entire mash. This is true for any normal mash temp....the ambient temp inside the oven is "close enough" that any heat gain or loss is minimal. If my initial mash temp is 148, or 156....that temp will hold for as long as I want.
You know, I've never thought about mashing in the oven. I've got a mash tun that I use, but if I'm ever in need, I'll keep this in mind.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #1378
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have only been brewing for 8 months, all extract with some steeping grains. I was avoiding learning all grain b/c it intimidated me with all of the additional equipment and seemed very complicated. Then I find DB's simple stove top method and all of my fears have been cast aside. It's so easy! And The only new equipment that I had to purchase was 5 gal paint strainer bag. Thanks DB! This extract noob has been converted!

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #1379
smetana1986
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Still living in that cabin in Alaska Dick?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #1380
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Read this entire thread and have been using the bag method of partial mash brewing for some time. I am looking to go all grain but I just can't pull that trigger of 200+ dollars for two coolers with fittings. I generally after the mash run a 3 gallon boil and add my water to the pot during the cool down....I do boil my water and let it cool for a couple of days that will be my top off.....

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply