Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #1351
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Sailor View Post
Hi guys. I'm a nubie to this forum as well as to home brewing. So please have patience with me here. I've only brewed four five gallon batches to date. When I brew I bring three gallons of water to 155 degrees then put all my grains in a grain sock and let them steep for 30 minutes. I then remove the grain sock, put it in a colander and let it drip back into the pot for a few minutes. I then add my LMEs and bring the water to 212 and start my boil. My question is, how is this different than partial mash brewing? And my second question is how do I determine the efficiency and when? Thanks for any info here.
Really, the only difference between mashing and what you're doing is that in a mash, there's some base malt and not just specialty grains, and you pay more attention to holding a specific temperature and proper pH. Also, a mash is generally longer, 60-90 mins is the norm.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #1352
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_sailor
My question is, how is this different than partial mash brewing?
Expanding a little on Nordeastbrewer77's explanation, in your example you have performed an extract with steeped specialty grains. Nearly all of your fermentables are from the extract, and the grains you used contribute, mostly, unfermentable sugars that influence things like head retention, mouthfeel, flavour/aroma.

in a partial mash you are mashing base malts, possibly specialty grains too, to extract enzymes that convert the starches to fermentable and unfermentable sugars and then combine this with extract to increase the volume of sugars in your wort to get to your desired Gravity. Partial mash is an easier way to achieve a larger volume of a higher gravity beer with limited equipment than All Grain.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #1353
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Another big thank you for this thread. You really de-mystified the process, and made it seem far less daunting. It hit me that a partial mash isn't that much harder than steeping grains, and that it opens up so many more possibilities as far as what kind of recipes I would be able to try.

I did my first partial mash about two weeks ago, and can't wait to try another. I know I probably made some mistakes, but overall it went very well, and I'm very optimistic about how my brew will come out.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #1354
Oldskooler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Great article thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #1355
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks for the guide, did a partial mash last night with 1lb of flaked wheat and 1lb of 2-row. Not sure what my efficiency was, but i was really just using it to kick a bit more alcohol and body into a beer, so shouldn't matter too much exactly what it was.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #1356
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting. Took my first stab at a 2.5 gal AG using this method. I am a bit limited with my equipment, as I only have one pot that is 4 gal... I had to get a bit creative with the pots to get all of my sparge water together. I made a couple of blunders:

I meant to mash with 1.25 qt/gal, and ended up mashing closer to .77 qt/gal.

I underestimated how much would boil off and ended up with right at 2 gal.

I'm not too incredibly worried, as I feel like my efficiency probably wasn't too great, and the lower post-volume boil will probably result in better beer anyway.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #1357
pizzachef
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So I just came across this thread today, and I didn't have time to read through all 136 pages of it...but I did read the first few and the last few. I tried this today and used the efficiency calcs shown on this page:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html
My efficiency came out embarrassingly low (~17%) but I think that could be because I had more specialty grains in the recipe I made. My question is how to know the volume of wort? If you use 2 gals to mash and then 2 gals to sparge, you end up with less than 4 gallons because the grains soak up so much liquid. I probably had just under 3 gals after sparging. Would I use the ending volume to calculate the efficiency or the beginning volume?
Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #1358
rachelclark21
Recipes 

I used your instructions as my first attempt to brew without a kit, but for some reason my beer came out really weak. It tastes watered down. I followed the instructions as closely as possible, so I dont know what could have happened. Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1359
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelclark21 View Post
I used your instructions as my first attempt to brew without a kit, but for some reason my beer came out really weak. It tastes watered down. I followed the instructions as closely as possible, so I dont know what could have happened. Any ideas?
Did you take a starting gravity reading? And what was the recipe?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #1360
rachelclark21
Recipes 

the recipe was the dunkelweizen that deathbrewer posted:
Grains:
3 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
¼ lbs Chocolate Malt (pale chocolate is wonderful in this recipe)

Extract: 3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Hops: 0.6 oz hallertau

Yeast: WLP 300

I took a gravity reading on the wort after cooling, but it is written down at home. I can post after work. Should I be taking one prior to that point in the process?

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply