Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #1321
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Before I start let me join the chorus in praising this thread. Deathbrewer, you have done a wonderful thing here. After blowing fifty bucks on my first kit and getting mediocre results I was moving towards AG but dreading the hundred + dollars of equipment I needed to buy and construct. You've made it look so simple and even inviting. Thanks for making the prospect of brewing through the learning curve more fun!

Now on to business. My question is about how to build a partial mash recipe. Given an all grain recipe, how do you decide what stays a grain and how much becomes extract. I assume that I'd want to replace a chunk of the base malt and just keep the rest proportional. If there a rule of thumb to follow here?

My first beer was an all malt porter kit from True Brew. For my second batch I want to brew Jamil's Robust Porter. The extract recipe looked like this:
6.6 lbs Pale LME
1 lb Munich LME
1.25 lbs Crystal 40 steeped
0.4 lb Black Patent steeped
0.6 lb Chocolate steeped
1.5 oz Kent Goldings @60
0.75 oz Kent Goldings @knockout

For partial mash could I just do it like this:
3.5 lb Pilzner
1.25 lb Munich
1.25 lbs Crystal 40
0.4 lb Black Patent
0.6 lb Chocolate
That's 7 pounds of grain for the mash. 10 quarts gives me ~1.5 qt/gal. Then I'd just add the remaining four lbs of LME at knockout and be good? [s]I'm swapping extract and grain at 1:1, and I don't think that works.[/s] I've been digging through my Palmer book but can't find the info on converting from extract to grain.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks!

-EDIT- I just bought two cheapo stainless 4gal stockpots for this method (previous put was 2.5gal) so I was trying to keep the size of my mash down. Did I under shoot at nine quarts?

-EDIT AGAIN- Just read the first fifty pages. Two answers gleaned. First that a good starting point for a pair of four gal pots is 7 lbs of grain with 2.5 gallons of water. Second is that 0.75 lbs of LME = 1 lb of grain. Recipe corrected accordingly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #1322
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I made my first all grain batch using this method with an Irish Red. I used 3 gallon pots to mash, and an 8 gallon to sparge and boil. Other than taking an hour to get a boil going, and carrying 60lbs of boiling wort to the bathtub for the cold break at 1:00 am, everything went great. I reached 77% efficiency.

By the way, I ended up going stainless steel for the boil pot. I found a decent one on Amazon and had the cash at the moment. This was also my first full boil batch. I also convinced my brother-in-law to jump in feet first with all grain. Within one week, this kettle will have 4 batches under it's belt. Thanks for the tips and help.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #1323
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Is it possible to sparge with a smaller amount of water than the initial mash? I'd like to use as much grain as possible while still leaving a gallon worth of space for the boil. I had a boil over during my first batch and I intend not to let that happen again. Details:

I now have a 5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon SS pot. Could I mash 7 lbs of grain in 3 gallons of water (1.7qt/gal), then sparge with 2 gallons (1.1qt/gal)? After absorbtion I'd be boiling 4.1 gallons of wort. Is a stiff sparge bad? Or could stirring it well make this a non-issue?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #1324
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I sparge with a smaller volume. Remember, you'll take about .12gal/lb with the grain so you have to account for that if you're transferring the bag to another pot to sparge.

EDIT:
For example: I have a 4 gal and a 3 gal for my pots. I mashed 7lb with 2 gal water (~1.2qt/lb) in my big pot, then transferred the bag of grain into 2 gal sparge water in the smaller pot. As expected, I was left with 1.25 gal wort in the first pot, and yielded all 2 gal from the sparge (seriously pushing it in the 3gal pot.) Say what you will about squeezing the bag, but I squeezed the hell out of it with a plate and colander over the pot after sparging. I still ended up with 3.25 gal. Not sure if it's the correct way to do it, but i went ahead and topped up to the 3.5 planned for my boil. Granted... my efficiency sucked (64%), so I was advised to max out my mash water and use less sparge next time to help that.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #1325
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I suppose I could move the wort from my mash pot to a bucket or other container, move as much hot water from the small pot into my freshly drained mash pot, and sparge it there. That way I wouldn't have to account for displacement in my small pot.

Reading a long series of posts culminating in a paraphrased 'just do whatever works for your setup' I'm feeling much more confidant in just finding simple solutions to achieve my goals. Those posts were somewhere near page seventy (over half way read!)

Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1326
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The simple solutions are usually the lowest stress solutions. RDWHAHB

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #1327
BW210
Recipes 

I have recently switched to a 15gal pot for full boils. I start with 12 gallon and end up with 9.5-10 gallon to rack to carboys. I have been doing grain steeping and DME batches and now wish to do some rye grain. Can I mash my grain in say 8 gallons of water in my big pot and sparge in 4 gallons in my 28 qt stockpot, then combine to start the full boil?

I plan on doing partial mash and DME batches still until going all grain.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #1328
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst View Post
Given an all grain recipe, how do you decide what stays a grain and how much becomes extract.

My first beer was an all malt porter kit from True Brew. For my second batch I want to brew Jamil's Robust Porter. The extract recipe looked like this:
6.6 lbs Pale LME
1 lb Munich LME
1.25 lbs Crystal 40 steeped
0.4 lb Black Patent steeped
0.6 lb Chocolate steeped
1.5 oz Kent Goldings @60
0.75 oz Kent Goldings @knockout

For partial mash could I just do it like this:
3.5 lb Pilzner
1.25 lb Munich
1.25 lbs Crystal 40
0.4 lb Black Patent
0.6 lb Chocolate
That's 7 pounds of grain for the mash. 10 quarts gives me ~1.5 qt/gal. Then I'd just add the remaining four lbs of LME at knockout and be good? [s]I'm swapping extract and grain at 1:1, and I don't think that works.[/s] I've been digging through my Palmer book but can't find the info on converting from extract to grain.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks!

-EDIT- I just bought two cheapo stainless 4gal stockpots for this method (previous put was 2.5gal) so I was trying to keep the size of my mash down. Did I under shoot at nine quarts?
Your specialty grains should always go in the mash. For them, it replaces steeping. You'll want to have enough diastatic power to convert everything, so put pale malt in there. How much after that is up to you and your capacity.

Pilsner Malt is not the same as Pale Malt.

With your specialty grains, you have 2.25 lbs of the dark stuff. Also, I don't know if you are going to find 1lb of Munich LME. LME is difficult to measure. I noticed you adjusted your Munich Malt down from 1.33 lbs. This seems OK. Most of the color and flavors are coming from the roasted grains.

At this point, you have 4 lbs to be mashed and a diastatic power of about 17. If you add 1 lb of Pale 2-Row Malt, you'll have a power of about 40, which is what you want.

You probably shouldn't add 5 lbs of Pale Malt to it. If you're really concerned with hitting your OG, you could leave 3.3lb of the Pale Extract as LME and buy 3lbs of Pale DME. You could easily mash a total of 6 lbs and you might not have a problem with 7. So, go ahead and throw a total of 3 lbs of Pale 2-Row in there.

You'll need to add 1.2 lb DME.

As you near the end of the boil, you could measure the specific gravity. If it's too low, add some DME to bring it to where you want it.

DME gives about 44 points per pound per gallon. In a 5 gallon batch, 1.8 oz DME will increase your gravity by .001.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #1329
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
DME gives about 44 points per pound per gallon. In a 5 gallon batch, 1.8 oz DME will increase your gravity by .001.
44/16 = 2.75 pts per ounce DME per gallon.

1/1.8 = 0.56 pts per ounce DME per FIVE gallons.

I couldn't figure your math there for a minute.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #1330
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How much water is displaced by wet grain in the sparge pot? Is it the same 0.125#/gal that it removed from the mash pot? I'm doing an AG batch but that forces me to sparge in my smaller pot. I'm trying to control my boil volume and can't seem to find an answer to this one.

Also, if I'm adding water to hit my final volume do I need to increase my bittering hops to account for reduced hop utilization?

Thanks!

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply