Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1281
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Getting ready to do my first PM in the next week or two.
Have a question regarding mash/steeping. Sure it was answered in the thread somewhere but I can't locate it.

Are the specialty grains that are meant for steeping simply added to the grain bag for the full mash or added as it gets closer to the end of the mash time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #1282
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmiwinks View Post
Getting ready to do my first PM in the next week or two.
Have a question regarding mash/steeping. Sure it was answered in the thread somewhere but I can't locate it.

Are the specialty grains that are meant for steeping simply added to the grain bag for the full mash or added as it gets closer to the end of the mash time?
If you are both mashing and steeping, you might as well do them all together. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything if you did them separately, but I don't see the point. Steeping should be done at about the same temperature as mashing, but it requires less time. The extra time won't make the steeping less effective, though, so my personal opinion would be that it is most efficient to just do them all at once.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #1283
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
If you are both mashing and steeping, you might as well do them all together. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything if you did them separately, but I don't see the point. Steeping should be done at about the same temperature as mashing, but it requires less time. The extra time won't make the steeping less effective, though, so my personal opinion would be that it is most efficient to just do them all at once.
Thanks Justibone.
That's pretty much what I was thinking but then I saw somewhere a few pages back someone mentioned something about the different temps and times and it got me thinking about it. Still kinda noobish so I'm just trying to figure some of the ins and outs before I get knee deep in grains

Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #1284
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think I'm ready to give this technique a try but I have a question. I have a 5 gal pot and a 1.5 gal pot, which isn't very useful for mashing more than ~3 lbs of grain. I've read that others use a fermenting/bottling bucket to mash in. Will this really keep the water temp within range for the entire time? I have a brew belt. Should I use that or just wrap the bucket with a blanket or sleeping bag?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #1285
beerman1957
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you have a picnic cooler you could use? They work better. If not, you may have to wrap blanket around a bucket.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #1286
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
I think I'm ready to give this technique a try but I have a question. I have a 5 gal pot and a 1.5 gal pot, which isn't very useful for mashing more than ~3 lbs of grain. I've read that others use a fermenting/bottling bucket to mash in. Will this really keep the water temp within range for the entire time? I have a brew belt. Should I use that or just wrap the bucket with a blanket or sleeping bag?

Thanks,
Jason
Others have done it by wrapping the bucket with blankets and setting the bucket on top of an insulating surface (not on a tile floor, for example). They have kept boiling water on hand and added it, little by little, as needed. If you have software you can calculate how much to add, or you can just do the math yourself (vol*temp + vol*temp = net temp in net vol), but either way it's just not going to work that well.

The brew belt may help slightly, but it really doesn't pull that much power and is intended for just changing a few degrees here and there, rather than keeping it about 70F degrees higher for the better part of an hour.

Like someone else mentioned, the picnic cooler thing (like they put Gatorade in at football games) is said to work well. Another option is to only mash/steep as much grain as you can comfortably fit in your pot, making the rest of the fermentables up with extract. Yet another-other option would be to split the mashed grains (like 2-row) from the steeped grains, and mash the mashable grains first, then add the steepable grains after the temperature drops since they are not so temperature dependent.

You just gotta work with whatcha got!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #1287
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Justibone, Beerman1957, thanks so much for the replys. This is super helpful to me. I'm tempted to buy a 2-gal beverage cooler but I'm afraid buying one more piece of gear before we get a bigger house would cause SWMBO to come unhinged.

I like the idea of mashing and steeping in separate pots. I may try that, or I'll tweak my recipes to bring the grains down to a volume I can manage in a single pot.

Thanks again, guys!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #1288
jwalker1140
Recipes 

I just remembered, I do have a 16-quart Coleman picnic cooler, the rectangle kind with a lid that wedges down on top and locks when you lift the handle upright. Would that work? For some reason, my mind was stuck on the round orange type of cooler. Surely my Coleman would be better than my fermentation bucket.

I'll be pretty stoked if this will work! Can't wait to brew a proper wit.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #1289
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts

That could work great. Does the bag fit?

You could do probably about 8 lbs of grain in that, max...but hell, you get good enough efficiency and you could do an all-grain wit with that amount.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #1290
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts