New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #1121
BrettV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All grains I've ever received from NB have been pre-crushed. The evidence is unfortunately on its way to a landfill now, but I'm fairly certain the grains had been crushed.

Primary: Uncle Al's Fireside Warmer
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Sexy Pilgrim Pumpkin, Chubby Wheel Amber, Robert Smythe's (r)Evolution IPA
Planning: Nutella Stout, Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #1122
wiescins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV
I finally did my first partial mash yesterday, but I'm afraid that I didn't get very good efficiency from my grain. Truth be told, I didn't realize it was a partial mash kit when I bought it, but I thought "WTF, I can handle this." NB has instructions included, and I sort of followed them while referencing this article. In the end, my OG was 1.054 when the instructions said it should be 1.065, and brew calculus told me it should be 1.069. The beer is their RyePA. Here's what I did:

Heated 5 quarts of water to 162 degrees. Placed 5 lbs of grain in mesh bag into water, adjusted temp to 152, covered it, wrapped it in a towel, placed it in the oven on warm for 1 hour. Heated 5 quarts of sparge water in my brew pot to 160. Removed the grain bag from the first pot and drained as best I could and then tea-bagged it in the sparge water for 10 minutes. Drained, discarded grains, poured the wort from the first pot in with the sparge water/wort in the brew pot, and proceeded as usual with my boil. My other fermentables included 6 lbs of Amber malt syrup. It seems like I did everything right, but that's a pretty low OG.
What was your final batch size? If you are over 5gal, that will reduce your OG.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #1123
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Final batch size was 5 gallons. I did a partial boil on the stove (about 3.5 gallons) and topped up with bottled water in the carboy.

Primary: Uncle Al's Fireside Warmer
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Sexy Pilgrim Pumpkin, Chubby Wheel Amber, Robert Smythe's (r)Evolution IPA
Planning: Nutella Stout, Cider

Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #1124
johnbm85
Recipes 

Thanks for this DeathBrewer. I just did my first partial mash with this post up on my computer to walk me through. It's my first time mashing wheat, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #1125
THRobinson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome... I'm one of those newbies crossing the line between extract and mash... and also in a small apartment where space is limited. I have the basic equipment and really wanted to make sure I had everything I needed before ordering a kit and a nylon bag.

Nothing worse than making an order, waiting a week, finally getting everything and realizing you don't have the right equipment. :S

Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #1126
1ratdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

HOLY ****. YOU HAVE 3 HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (step 6) LOL.

awesome post. very helpful. thank you

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #1127
McGreen
Recipes 

This is an awesome thread! Thanks!

Sláinte!

Currently working at the Port Jeff Brewing Co. in Port Jefferson, NY - check us out on the web:
www.portjeffbrewing.com

FV 1: Imperial Stout
FV 2: Irish Red (Secondary)
FV 3: Empty

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Irish Stout, Hefeweizen, Blueberry Hefe, Belgian Style Summer Ale, Guinness Clone, American Light, Irish Red, Whiskey-Barrel Stout, Honey Stout

On Deck: Kolsch-Style Lager

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #1128
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the great thread! Huge help when I did my first partial mash today!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #1129
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Echoing the same here, just finished up a partial mash version of Janet's Brown Ale (BN Tasty McDole recipe) and mashed 6.5 pounds of grain in my 5 gallon pot with only one issue:

I tried to use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and found that its slightly too small to let the maximum amount of grain remain in contact with the maximum amount of water for the mash. So if anyone is thinking of using one, I would get a bigger bag.

Thanks for the write up, I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #1130
Philip_T
Recipes 

This write up has been a great resource for me. Thanks DeathBrewer for all of the info. I've got a stupid question though that has been wearing on me though. I've read both your Partial Mash and AG stove top methods.

Is the only basic difference that the PM method uses DME and fewer grains? Could it then also just be called an AG method with DME addition?

Other than that, both methods appear basically the same. Or am I missing something?

Sorry for such a noob question. I've searched a lot of both threads, but the answer is eluding me.

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply