Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #1101
Roscoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've just done my first mini-mash. I converted a cooler to a mash tun, but don't have a pot big enough for a full boil, plus would need a wort chiller at that point. I want to mash/lauter in the cooler, then xfer to the pot for a regular boil with extract. Made a bunch of mistakes and was nervous doing it, but believe this will still be a delicious batch of beer and can't wait to try. I hope mini-mashing gets more popular as a stepping stone or alternative to all grain. Lots of fun!
My wife uses the spent grains to make bread, it's incredible, especially right out of the oven. I chill using the same method. I find the water out of the tap is cold enough to drop the temp right down, then add ice when it needs the extra kick.
-Roscoe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #1102
sjjn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After a few kit batches, finally got all my supplies for an excursion into Partial and AG a la Deathbrewer.

Did this last night in my narrow NYC kitchen with requisite tiny stove:

I mashed my 6lbs of Belgian Pilsener in 2 gallons of water (1.33) in my 5 gallon pot with the grain in a 5 gallon painters bag and I got nearly all of it back (no squeezing) at 1.033. Then Sparged the bag and dipped it with the rest of my water in an 8 gallon pot and headed for extract/full boil/hop additions, and now 5 gallons in fermenter A and an interminable wait.

Hit all my numbers right on with the mini mash and SG was spot on with the recipe at 1.051. Now i just have to not screw up the fermentation. Pitched at 72. It did dip to about 68 during the night but should hold 72-74 for the next day or so then i'll begin the ramp to 80...

Hope it comes reasonably close in flavor to the original i tried although it appears a bit darker; from the extract I assume.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #1103
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How are you keeping your temp from going crazy?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #1104
sjjn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
How are you keeping your temp from going crazy?
Manhattan apartments are notoriously hot.

My kitchen with window open is a constant 74 (and that's the cold part of the apartment) when outside temps are 0-65 or so. I have a window fan that if turned on will bring it to 62-68 depending on outside temps and if i close that window...BAM 80.

If i need colder I've been wrapping it in wet t shirts with a fan blowing on it and windows open, if I ever need hotter I could move it to the other side of the room by the heat pipe. or wrap in a blanket.

I did a lot of test readings of temps before i started brewing in this place as I figured fermentation temps would be difficult. But it seems as long as I brew beers that like 66+ before the weather gets to hot I'm good.

In the summer i'll stick an AC in the kitchen window.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #1105
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know you guys dont control the heat, thats why i asked. At least you have someplace with a somewhat constand temp

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #1106
sjjn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
I know you guys dont control the heat, thats why i asked. At least you have someplace with a somewhat constand temp

And lucky for me i live in a landmarked building so electricity is free. Them fans can run 24-7...

Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #1107
cheffriz
Recipes 

I will soon be doing my first partial mash, I will for the most part be using the instructions that are provided in this thread with a little change
Instead of mashing in the the stanless steel vessel, I purchased a 5 Gal Igloo Water Cooler to use as a mash tun, I decided that this size would be best to procure now Because i plan to start all grain next year and did not want to purchase a second cooler.

I decided to run a test on how well the cooler will hold temp.

Clean, Room temp Mash tun
heated 4.3 qts water to 167

After Dump Temp: 161 down 6
30 min: 152 down 9
60 min: 147 down 5 from 1/2 hour down 14 from dump

I ran the test again with the now pre heated mash tun
heating a new batch of water, 4.3 qts to 167
discarded the old water to and immediately adding the freshly heated water.

After Dump: 165 down 2
30 min:158 down 7
60 min: 152 6 from 1/2 hour down 13 from dump
90 min: 150
120 min: 145

So It appears that Pre heating the Mash tun has very little effect on the loss of heat from the vessel

Does the grain offer enough insulation to maintain the temp at 148-154?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #1108
EPS
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nice pics

That was great really helpfull. I have my first pm coming in the mail thats post makes me feel alo better about doing it. THANKS BRO

Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #1109
mjp1776
Recipes 

Doing my first pm today--thanks for taking the pics, helps a lot and don't need to buy extra equipment at this point!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #1110
jangelj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

followed your pictorial for my first stovetop partial mash and hit my OG dead on. thanks for writing this up.

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply