New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #1091
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Regarding water volume, I am shooting for a maltier beer (Dead Guy), do you suggest 1.5qt/lb or 2.0qt/lb?

This is for a 5 gallon batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #1092
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
Regarding water volume, I am shooting for a maltier beer (Dead Guy), do you suggest 1.5qt/lb or 2.0qt/lb?

This is for a 5 gallon batch.
You should be more worried about your temp, I don't think you would be able to notice the difference between 1.5 and 2. If you have poor efficiency, go with 2, but if not, I've had success doing a DG clone with around 1.5

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #1093
ultravista
Recipes 

I plan on 152 for the mash temperature. Which recipe did you use for your DG clone?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #1094
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I plan on 152 for the mash temperature. Which recipe did you use for your DG clone?
I created mine from ones I found elsewhere. It's all-grain though. If you still want it I can list it.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #1095
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
What yeast are you planning to use? I think for something as malty as DG you will want to raise your mash temp, possibly to as much as 155-158*. I have mashed at 152-153* and fermented w/ highly attenuative strains like Wyeast 1056 or WLP 550 that came out VERY dry. You need way more unfermentable dextrins in you wort to achieve that sweetness you are looking for.

Good luck and post updates

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1096
ultravista
Recipes 

The yeast will be Pacman.

The Can You Brew It episode of Dead Guy Clone with John Maier said 152 is the target temperature for the real-thing. The recpie is:

10 lbs 9.28 oz - Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
3 lbs, 9.6 oz - Weyermann Cara Munich II ®
1 lbs, 9 oz - Briess 2 Row Caramel 40

Perle, GR Pellets 1.41 oz @ 90 mins
Saaz, US Pellets 1.13 oz @ 1 mins

Wyeast Labs Pacman

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #1097
toniogarces
Recipes 

Do you perhaps have the recipe you used? I'm wondering about the batch size and proportions of your grist.

Great help. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #1098
JustinHorton
Recipes 

Wow, awesome read. This took away some of the intimidation I had of Partial Mash. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #1099
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
I do have a general brewing question, though it may have been answered after page 50 of this thread (still digging through)...how do you get a 'clean' wort sample to get an accurate OG before racking to primary? I ended up grabbing a sample of wort both before (last 10sec. of boil) and after cooling (via auto siphon), I felt it was too 'dirty' w/ cloudy clouds floating around in it to get an accurate reading. Any tips?
I usually get my sample from the primary, just before pitching. I mix the water and wort VERY well and then take a sample with a wine thief.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cloudy. You should still be able to get an accurate reading, with few exceptions.

It should DEFINITELY be cool before you sample. You want your sample to be at 60*F with most hydrometers. Other than that, mixing is most important...with extract the sugars tend to settle and you need to shake well before taking a good reading.

Be sure to account for dilution, too, if you take a sample before you add water.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #1100
ColoradoBrewMeister
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Step 10:
Ferment...i split this 5 gallon batch into two 3 gallon fermenters and topped off with tap water. You may not be able to use your tap water to top off...you can either boil and cool some h20 or use bottled water if you'd like. I also used two different yeasts (notty and windsor) and eventually blended them back together into one keg.

As for target gravity, i usually shoot for the middle of the style at 65% efficiency. i've experienced as low as 60%, but it's usually in the 65-70 range. as this is meant to be an enjoyable brew day, i don't take a sample until the beer is finished, poured and topped off.

EDIT: Since using the 10 minute sparge, my efficiency has been at a steady 70% efficiency for the last 4 batches.

I hope this helps inspire some people to make the jump to partial mashing from extract! all you really need is the bag in addition to some regular equipment to see how easy it is. once i started doing this, there was no turning back. i regularly make partial mash and all-grain batches nearly 3 times a week now.

let me know if you have any questions on this process or if you need any easy partial mash recipes. some of my favorites are hefeweizens, dunkelweizens and cream ales, as well as the irish rye stout in my drop down.

Take care and keep brewing!

Hey! This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing and all the pictures really help too! I am new at brewing and have a question. To this point I've made two batches. One kit, one extract, and now I am on to a partial mash. I have all of the ingredients, except, 2row. I almost starting tea bagging my wheat malt, and other malts together...and then I stopped to ask some questions. Fortunately I didn't start because I don't think I would have ended up with enough fermentable sugars to make this beer delicious!

So, anyways...here is my recipe http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/507. Just copy and paste to your browser.

It talks about mashing, but it says nothing about 2row, and the mashing directions seem significantly different from yours.

My question is, how would you mash the malts together? How would you change this recipe to make it work?

Thanks!

Brew on,

Chris

Bottles: Abbey Ale
Secondary: Chris Moon
Next: Honey Basil Ale

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply