Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #991
robbyg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I used this technique last night for my first partial mash batch. It was a 2-gallon batch, and I think I've come to the conclusion that this might be too much labor for a case of beer. All the more excuse to move up to 5-gallon batches!

I did discover that it's pretty difficult to maintain a consistent temperature with a small partial mash for a small batch -- keeping 2 quarts of water at 152 proved pretty impossible. However, I still ended up with 67% efficiency, which is what I had estimated going in, so I'm pretty excited about that! I'm hoping that larger batches will lend themselves to more consistent temperatures and greater efficiencies.

Either way, I wanted to say thanks for posting this! It gave me the courage to try a partial mash without having to invest in new equipment.

Enjoying: Stout, Apfelwein, American Amber, Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Sweet Mead

See My Kegerator Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #992
dogma9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Step 10:
Ferment...i split this 5 gallon batch into two 3 gallon fermenters and topped off with tap water. You may not be able to use your tap water to top off...you can either boil and cool some h20 or use bottled water if you'd like. I also used two different yeasts (notty and windsor) and eventually blended them back together into one keg.

As for target gravity, i usually shoot for the middle of the style at 65% efficiency. i've experienced as low as 60%, but it's usually in the 65-70 range. as this is meant to be an enjoyable brew day, i don't take a sample until the beer is finished, poured and topped off.

EDIT: Since using the 10 minute sparge, my efficiency has been at a steady 70% efficiency for the last 4 batches.

I hope this helps inspire some people to make the jump to partial mashing from extract! all you really need is the bag in addition to some regular equipment to see how easy it is. once i started doing this, there was no turning back. i regularly make partial mash and all-grain batches nearly 3 times a week now.

let me know if you have any questions on this process or if you need any easy partial mash recipes. some of my favorites are hefeweizens, dunkelweizens and cream ales, as well as the irish rye stout in my drop down.

Take care and keep brewing!
what do you mean by efficiency? and how do u check it?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #993
dogma9
Recipes 

nevermind i see it's talking about how much sugar u got out of the grain during mashing by using beersmith

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #994
braceful
Recipes 

Default partial mash for pumpkin ale

DB and/or others,

I've read that brewing with pumpkin requires (or at least is recommended) a partial mash to convert any starches present in the pumpkin. After reading your descriptions, I'm much more confident in trying my first partial mash.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe and if this method would still work considering the addition of the pumpkin. Note: I'm thinking about using a fresh cooking pumpkin, roasted in the oven and cubed. Would I add the cooked pumpkin cubes into the mash with the grains? I would prefer to avoid using canned pumpkin to eliminate the large amounts of trub I've read about with this type of beer.

Thanks for helping a noob

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #995
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

The enzymes are in the malt, so if you mash the pumpkin with the malt, and if the enzymes can get to the starches, then they will convert it.

It is not necessary, as far as I know, to actually convert the starches, since you are going for a pumpkin flavor rather than using it as a primary sugar source, am I correct? So, if you are not counting on it to up your ABV%, then don't sweat the mash.

Good luck to ya!!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #996
SleepwalKing
Recipes 

Hey DB, a few questions for you:

- How long does it take you to do this Partial Mash?

- How long did you usually do the boil with the hops?

I just have to calculate a grain bill for a pale ale.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #997
SleepwalKing
Recipes 

Forgot one, so one more:

- I use a cooler with water and frozen water bottles. During the first day or so of fermentation, I find it hard to keep the water at a steady temp. Not being home due to work, I think it might fluctuate a bit. I brewed a wheat all extract about 3 weeks ago and I think it did this, but it's been at about 68/69 degrees for the last 16 days. Is that alright as you mentioned in a post a few years ago? Or is the temp control which I don't think I can do, an absolute must to be steady?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #998
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

As steady as possible, but just keeping it low is most important. I'm sure your wheat is fine.

Partial mash brew time: about 3-3.5 hours, or more if i'm being lazy and taking my sweet time in regards to cleaning and setup.

I generally do a 60 minute boil.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #999
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

As for pumpkin, the ONLY way to use pumpkin is in the mash. If you dump it in the boil or something, you won't get anything from it. Using it in the mash doesn't necessarily make it taste like pumpkin (that's more the spices you use) but if you want to use pumpkin, in the mash is the way to go. Use some 6-row or a bunch of 2-row to convert it. Go for a mild or light brown ale recipe.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #1000
SleepwalKing
Recipes 

Thanks DB.

I usually do 5 gallon batches and have a 7 gallon kettle. If I bought say a 5 gallon kettle, would you mash in the 5 g and boil in the 7?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I just want to do this right:
I was looking at your water ratios, so if I did 6 lbs of grain in (I think what you said) is 2 or so gallons. How much would you use to sparge? Then pour the strike water from the partial mash into the sparge water? How many gallons would that probably be after boil? I'm used to cooling 2 gallons in the fridge to chill down the wort after boil.

Tags
partial mash

Quick Reply