Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > an Easy Extract Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
soccerbigt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default an Easy Extract Beer

Hey there, this is only my second time brewing and i am looking to try something fairly simple that only uses extracts and some hops, As i am not to familiar with the All Grain brewing process yet. I understand its a little more difficult. I have An american light lager recipe that i got from my LHBS, its fermenting as we speak. I also have a pilsner kit thats fermenting. I am just wondering if anybody can recomend another recipe i can try that wont be to difficult.
Thanks so much in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I did the extract version of Yoopers DFH 60 minute clone for my second batch. It also uses a steeping grain, but that is fairly easy to do. I would recommend it smells great right now (it is still fermenting).

Andrew

Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The recipe section of this site is a good place to start...

The cat's meow 3 at Cats Meow 3 has lots of recipes from extract to partial mash, to full mash in .pdf format by style section

TastyBrew.com | Homebrew Recipes & Resources has some recipes and has a really nice recipe calculator by style if you want to customize a recipe, or if you need to substitute a grain or hop.

That being said, what style are you looking to brew? what do you like?

Personally I started off steeping grains, using only light dry malt extract and coloring and flavoring with specialty grains (hard to tell what makes amber or dark malt extract amber or dark). I'd also avoid hopped malt extract, again what hops are used and to what level. These 2 things made a big difference in my finished products over friends that went the hopped extract and colored extract route.

My first brew in over 10 years was a truly opaque milk stout that started with light malt extract and added chocolate malt roasted barley, black patent malt, and crystal malt. in very small qtys it's crystal ruby clear, in the glass it will block the sun!

The addition of these grains to the pot (in grain bags) only adds 30 min to the process and can be crushed by your local shop. LOcal shop should carry books and be able to give some good advice.

Charlie Papazians book The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is also a great resource that has lots of recipes, and great procedure instruction.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply