Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easiest beer I have ever made recipe
View Poll Results: Pick the name of this brew
Easily Amused 29 20.71%
Easy squeeze, lemon peazy 2 1.43%
Easy Rider 37 26.43%
Name your own brew, loser 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #101
NTOLERANCE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman View Post
7 Days in primary fermenter and then...

3 weeks under 10 PSI, then 20 PSI for 1 week, now sitting at 7 PSI for serving.

My regulator maxes at 30, had I just left it at 30 for a while, it might have carbed faster.
I dont know, I have run my reg up to 100 psi on this..... still took awhile.

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #102
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't sweat it, it's a great beer either way, totally worth the wait. The long time it takes to carb does it good anyways to get rid of the green and fruity flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #103
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe, this will be my first EXTRACT brew. Haha, I know...sounds funny. I've been brewing smaller 3gal AG batches from the start. I just got two 6 gallon glass carboys and since I don't have the kettle to match yet, this will let me do a bigger batch with the same equipment. I know there's always partial boils, but this is the perfect opportunity to have a nice "easy" brew day and see what extract is all about...not to mention it sounds like a tasty amber wheatish brew!

Thanks for sharing, I plan to brew tomorrow night or Friday morning. I'll probably bump up the DME to make an equivalent six gallon batch, figuring on about 5.5 into the carboy...although I guess without the sediment from the malt you don't get as much trub as with all grain?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #104
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrazy View Post
Thanks for the recipe, this will be my first EXTRACT brew. Haha, I know...sounds funny. I've been brewing smaller 3gal AG batches from the start. I just got two 6 gallon glass carboys and since I don't have the kettle to match yet, this will let me do a bigger batch with the same equipment. I know there's always partial boils, but this is the perfect opportunity to have a nice "easy" brew day and see what extract is all about...not to mention it sounds like a tasty amber wheatish brew!

Thanks for sharing, I plan to brew tomorrow night or Friday morning. I'll probably bump up the DME to make an equivalent six gallon batch, figuring on about 5.5 into the carboy...although I guess without the sediment from the malt you don't get as much trub as with all grain?

Yeah there isnt alot of trub in the bottom. Some but not alot. If youre using an auto siphon the suction intake of the siphon is usually just above the trub.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #105
Krrazy

Recipes 

Will you please confirm the hope/misc addition shedule? There was a post that reccomended a change and I just want to make sure I'm making your current reccomended recipe!

Here's what I got from the original post:
Start (60): 1oz Saaz
(20 min): .5oz Saaz
(10 min) .5oz Saaz, Zest of (1) orange, 1oz coriander, 1tsp Irish moss

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #106
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Will you please confirm the hope/misc addition shedule? There was a post that reccomended a change and I just want to make sure I'm making your current reccomended recipe!

Here's what I got from the original post:
Start (60): 1oz Saaz
(20 min): .5oz Saaz
(10 min) .5oz Saaz, Zest of (1) orange, 1oz coriander, 1tsp Irish moss

Thanks!
Orignally I brewed this with this hop schedule:

60 .5 Saaz
20 .5 saaz
10 .5 saaz, orange, coriander, irish moss.

That will give you about 14 IBU's. Adding a full ouce of Saaz at 60 minutes would up it to about 20 IBU's. I like it with the full ounce. Friends like it without, of course they drink BMC. Like I said, this doesnt conform to a style, Its nice to play around with the hops from time to time for me on this. Either way, it will turn out

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #107
Krrazy

Recipes 

What wouldn't be good with this added!! Four minutes until flameout!! It looks and smells great.

EDIT: Don't know what happened here -- I took a picture on my iPhone of the coriander, hops and orange zest but it's not showing up.

image-3868972766.jpg  

Reason: Update for error in mobile app.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #108
Krrazy

Recipes 

The brew day went well over all but I think I got carried away with the "easy"ness of this recipe and screwed up on a fundamental area of brewing.

This was my first batch using chilled water as the method for getting the wort down to pitching temperature. I followed the water guidelines from this recipe and topped up, oxygenated and then pitched the yeast. I use a fermometer (on this carboy it was a horizontal style) and my brew hauler strap was covering it up. I didn't do any calculations on the cold water additions and just assumed that adding 3+ gallons of cold water would surely bring it down to proper pitching temp. After I moved the carboy I noticed that my fermometer wasn't reading anything (scale: 38-78F). At first I thought that maybe the cold water brought it down below the lower end but I could detect some warmth from the carboy when I put my hand on it. I took a sample and it was at 84F! I put it in my fermentation chamber (refrigerator w/ controller) and am hoping that it will get it down fast enough to prevent any problems...it's been several hours at high temps though.

Lesson learned -- don't skip the basic process steps. Overall I did enjoy how easy it was to make this batch. It was just about two hours from start to finish. I just wish I would have checked that temperature first!

Has this happened to anyone else or do you typically get the wort down to the 60s just by adding the cold water?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #109
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
The brew day went well over all but I think I got carried away with the "easy"ness of this recipe and screwed up on a fundamental area of brewing.

This was my first batch using chilled water as the method for getting the wort down to pitching temperature. I followed the water guidelines from this recipe and topped up, oxygenated and then pitched the yeast. I use a fermometer (on this carboy it was a horizontal style) and my brew hauler strap was covering it up. I didn't do any calculations on the cold water additions and just assumed that adding 3+ gallons of cold water would surely bring it down to proper pitching temp. After I moved the carboy I noticed that my fermometer wasn't reading anything (scale: 38-78F). At first I thought that maybe the cold water brought it down below the lower end but I could detect some warmth from the carboy when I put my hand on it. I took a sample and it was at 84F! I put it in my fermentation chamber (refrigerator w/ controller) and am hoping that it will get it down fast enough to prevent any problems...it's been several hours at high temps though.

Lesson learned -- don't skip the basic process steps. Overall I did enjoy how easy it was to make this batch. It was just about two hours from start to finish. I just wish I would have checked that temperature first!

Has this happened to anyone else or do you typically get the wort down to the 60s just by adding the cold water?
You likely wont get this down to the 60's with the chilled RO water. Mine is usually in the mid 70's, sometimes a bit higher.

RDWHAHB

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #110
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTOLERANCE

You likely wont get this down to the 60's with the chilled RO water.
Try brewing in Colorado in the winter!
The worst I've done was use my counter flow chiller with hose water in the winter and the temp was 48 after!
It took a whole day before I hit 60 degrees and had to put a snow jacket on the carboy in my closet next to the heater vent. I pitched at 60 anyway and it was fine.

Quick Reply