Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easier Method to Get Juices from Grain? Grain "Press"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
sdgmcdon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Easier Method to Get Juices from Grain? Grain "Press"?

I brewed a bit well over a decade ago and recently picked up the hobby again. I'm on my 4th batch now and I'm wondering if there is an easier method to extract the juices from the grain? Currently I've tried the cheesecloth bags and tried just straining it...Both are a pain in the butt, but I will stick with Cheesecloths as it's definetely easier, thing is you need to press a spoon up against the bag to get the juices out and well, the bag is freakin' HOT! Plus, the pot tips when you do that, or you can't get the bag completely out of the water while doing thisetc etc etc...problems galore. I also noticed last night when doing a batch that when I waited for the grain bag to be cool enough to handle I was able to squeeze a LOT of thick liquid out of it which I think would add to the flavor and quality of the beer, I'd like to be able to use as much of that liquid as possible.

I'm wondering, hasn't someone come up with a grain PRESS? Idea being once your grains are done you can put the bag or grains only into a machine to "press" the residual juices out of the grain and into a pot, or some other type of container...nice and neat and if heavy duty enough would be able to make use of every ounce of liquid improving the flavor of the brew.

Is there such a machine? I can't find one...I want this not JUST for grains but also for hops as well when doing those with cheesecloth, just seems there's got to be something to do this with?

Thanks!

Last edited by sdgmcdon; 01-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It sounds like you are making extract/steeping grain brews. To extract more efficiency out of your malts and not have to deal with grain bags, you might want to take a look at Partial Mashing.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
notwoohoo
Recipes 

Grains should not be squeezed. You'll extract tannins if you do it excessively.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwoohoo View Post
Grains should not be squeezed. You'll extract tannins if you do it excessively.
What he said.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Yeah, you don't wanna be doing that to your grains. I can understand the sentiment though. It feels like waste if you ain't getting it ALL out. really though, you don't want to do it. There is a lot of bitter nasties in that thar grain.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Instead of placing the grains in a bag…let them steep “free-style”.

Then when your ready, just pour into another container or the dedicated boil pot through a large 5-gallon paint strainer. If the batch is too large to manhandle, try scooping a saucepot full at a time.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
baru
Recipes 

Hi, I just made my first all grain mash last Saturday and discovered the same pain in the back from straining. Fortunatly I had boiled water the day before and refridgerated it for cooling my wort. I wasn't satisfied that I was getting all the good stuff out of the mash so I poured the sterilized but cooled water over the strainer to wash the wort out of the mash and into the ferminter. I had the same idea of a press but no clue on where to get one. Maybe a wine press could be adapted.
Baru (as in Barusky)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
onejdn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baru View Post
Hi, I just made my first all grain mash last Saturday and discovered the same pain in the back from straining. Fortunatly I had boiled water the day before and refridgerated it for cooling my wort. I wasn't satisfied that I was getting all the good stuff out of the mash so I poured the sterilized but cooled water over the strainer to wash the wort out of the mash and into the ferminter. I had the same idea of a press but no clue on where to get one. Maybe a wine press could be adapted.
Baru (as in Barusky)
wait...you poured cold water over the mash into the fermenter? do you mean you poured it over the mash into the boil kettle? if so, you would be sparging and would get much better results if the water is closer to 170 degrees. Or re you saying you boiled the mash, grain and all?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Baru, buddy....did you read any of the thread. Squeezing the grains isn't something you want to be doing. And I echo the comment above...

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
nickhead
Recipes 

+1 million to not squeezing the grain bag. Let the sweet filtering husks do their work.

ihomebrewbeer.com home brew social network

Primary : Righteous American Real Ale, Random crappy Porter kit that was on sale, EdWort's Apfelwein
Secondary : Reggae Red Ale
Bottles: Cream Ale, Northern Lights IPA, Chocolate Lab Brown Ale, CA Steam Lager

Quick Reply