The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dunkel vs Hefe, #300 vs 3068

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
arover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dunkel vs Hefe, #300 vs 3068

Ok, I gotta be honest, yesterday was my first try at both a Hefe and Dunkelweizen. I've got to say, the Dunkel is one of my new favorites (I'm not far into being 21, and fairly new to beer)! Both were Franziskaner, and I absolutely loved that soft banana aftertaste. Now I'm deciding whether to go for a Dunkel or Hefe kit for my next brew, and whether to use the WLP300 or the W3068? Since those are the only Hefe's and Dunkel's I've tried, I'm wondering what everyone's take on both is. I'm planning on doing a higher temp fermentation (around 68) to achieve that more banana taste, but I'm wondering what you guys think?

I was thinking of going for the AHS Bavarian Hefe or Dunkel...but I'm torn between the two. (I want to go AHS because shipping seems to be cheapest, unless anyone can recommend otherwise. Looking to buy outside the realm of my LHBS for once)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Same yeast!

Yeast Strains

Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I know they're the same relatively comparable yeasts, but are they literally the SAME strains, just sold by different companies? I was under the impression the 3068 is a bit more temp sensitive and produced more strong banana esters.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

see this thread about w3068: banana esters and fermentation temps

i love dunkelweizen and regular hefes, that's a tough call. i say brew both but the hefe will probably appeal to a wider audience if you care about that sort of thing. also, try the ayinger and weinstephan versions of dunkel and hefe. edinger makes a good few also... this will just make your decision harder, but show you more variation in the style.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
Well, I know they're the same relatively comparable yeasts, but are they literally the SAME strains, just sold by different companies? I was under the impression the 3068 is a bit more temp sensitive and produced more strong banana esters.
They are supposed to be the same strain. Naturally, with any living organism at that level, you will experience mutations or differentiations depending on when and how they were harvested. They are considered interchangeable, but some people have opinions one way or another.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

68 should be a good temp with that strain. You are on the right track.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
see this thread about w3068: banana esters and fermentation temps

i love dunkelweizen and regular hefes, that's a tough call. i say brew both but the hefe will probably appeal to a wider audience if you care about that sort of thing. also, try the ayinger and weinstephan versions of dunkel and hefe. edinger makes a good few also... this will just make your decision harder, but show you more variation in the style.
Yeah, I'm all about appealing to the guests, which is why I'm hesitant to go for a greater banana flavor. I personally love the more banana taste, but I know many who don't...I'm also thinking about how a dunkel would work out with a larger amount of such esters, since the flavor is a bit more complicated than a regular hefe...

Old 03-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
grayburn
Recipes 

At 68 degrees the flavor won't be too intense, it is as you warm beyond that. I say go for the dunkel.

My lady loves beer and I have yet to conquer the world....the kaiser lied.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've used both WLP300 and WY3068. I prefer WLP300. Plenty of banana at 68F. Franziskaner is a favorite of mine, both the dunkel and the hefe.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

I recently made a dunkel with the WLP300, fermeneted at 68-70 degrees, and the banana and clove aroma/flavor is subtle but clear.

Quick Reply