New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dump entire contents of starter into the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
mayday1019
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dump entire contents of starter into the primary?

I made my first starter about 6 hours ago and i am already getting nice activity out of the airlock.

I have the starter in a 1/2 gallon growler. Should I just dump all of the contents (liquid included) into the primary? I have seen people talking about dumping the liquid out first, then pouring the yeast cake in.

IS the yeast cake the trub on the bottom, or the floating cells on the top?

What do you recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The yeast are all over the place if your starter is actively fermenting (some will settle out, some are suspended in liquid, some are in the kraeusen). What I like to do is put my starter in the fridge when it is at high kraeusen a day or two before pitching (this takes a bit of timing, but isn't too difficult). This will cause the yeast to settle down to the bottom in a nice yeast cake and the liquid may be siphoned off the top leaving just the slurry.

However, if the timing is off or for whatever reason I have a kraeusening starter (non-chilled) and it's time to pitch, I usually just dump it all in, especially if it's around a liter or so. In that case you would be throwing away yeast if you tried to decant the liquid.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
mayday1019
Recipes 

Thanks for the response! Is "high krausen" when the airlock is the most active, or whne the krausen is at its thickest?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Since we are dealing with top fermenting yeasts, thick & most active should be about the same time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For ales I dump the whole lot in after a day or two, If it's only a couple of pints the effect on the taste is going to be negligible. If it's a lager I'll wait for it to ferment out then just pitch the cake plus an inch of liquid on top.

You've made a starter which is the important part, if your sanitation was good don't worry too much about the minutiae

Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
The yeast are all over the place if your starter is actively fermenting (some will settle out, some are suspended in liquid, some are in the kraeusen). What I like to do is put my starter in the fridge when it is at high kraeusen a day or two before pitching (this takes a bit of timing, but isn't too difficult). This will cause the yeast to settle down to the bottom in a nice yeast cake and the liquid may be siphoned off the top leaving just the slurry.

However, if the timing is off or for whatever reason I have a kraeusening starter (non-chilled) and it's time to pitch, I usually just dump it all in, especially if it's around a liter or so. In that case you would be throwing away yeast if you tried to decant the liquid.
I agree. If krausen is still going good then dump the whole mess, otherwise decant the liquid and pitch the cake. I've done it both ways, because for some reason for me it's a crap shoot trying to determine how long before brew day to make my starter; somtimes it's still at krausen and sometimes it's done.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply