Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dumb question of the day: How long do you boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyblazer5150 View Post
EDIT: I like to do a full boil as I see brewing beer "similar" to brewing coffee, you wouldnt add water to your coffee to fill up your cup cause that would change the way it tastes and dillute it. So why would you do it to your brew? just my 2 cents on full boil vs partial.
Well, if it takes three hours to get to a boil and get finished, all the great things about a full boil are negated, and maillard reactions would be an issue (like caramelization). I'd rather go with a smaller boil that can be done in a reasonable time, but add the bulk of the extract late to avoid the maillard reactions that cause a "cooked extract" taste. There is no reason at all that extract needs to be boiled- it's been processed once already. Boiling it again, and then taking a long time to do it, would cause more flavor issues than doing a partial boil and late extract addition.

Try it and see. If you don't like the results, you can always go back to full barely boiling boils. It's really all about the flavor of the final product, after all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
chevyblazer5150
Recipes 

So why does the recipie call for the extract to be boiled for an hour? shouldnt it come in two seperate bags like your bittering hops if thats the case?

Not trying to argue BTW, legitimately curious.

Does a fish piss in its drinking water?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Instructions assume you don't know anything, and don't know about HBT. They are written to the lowest common denominator, the totally clueless. You on the other hand have HBT, and people that have years of experience behind them. Are we blessed or what?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd rather go with a smaller boil that can be done in a reasonable time, but add the bulk of the extract late to avoid the maillard reactions that cause a "cooked extract" taste. There is no reason at all that extract needs to be boiled- it's been processed once already. Boiling it again, and then taking a long time to do it, would cause more flavor issues than doing a partial boil and late extract addition.

Try it and see. If you don't like the results, you can always go back to full barely boiling boils. It's really all about the flavor of the final product, after all.
I recently made a partial mash version of Jamil's Cream Ale. I had a bottle of it left from the time I made it with extract only. When I made the extract recipe, I added half at the beginning and half at the end. When I do partial mashes, the extract goes in near the end. Side-by-side, these beers looked completely different. The extract brew was a deep orange and the partial mash brew was pale straw. Also, the extract brew had a much thicker body, despite finishing at 1.010 or 1.012. The partial mash brew came in at 1.006. The taste was different as well, there was hardly any malt character in the partial mash beer (as expected), but there was a lot of caramel taste in the extract beer.

These differences make a good example of what you're talking about.

Quick Reply