Dry Yeast problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
So I brewed a NB nut brown ale today and had Notty yeast that I tried to rehydrate. After boiling water, I cooled to 90 degrees and pitched yeast into it. Well the yeast didn't mix with the water like it usually did, all the granuals were still there. I know a lot of people have had problems with this yeast so instead of taking a chance I rehydrated a backup US -05 that I have.

Just curious what was up with the Notty that I had. Thanks.

I'm sure it would have been fine with just the Notty in there. Even if it didn't look the same as previous experience.

Why are you pitching at 90°?

So I brewed a NB nut brown ale today and had Notty yeast that I tried to rehydrate. After boiling water, I cooled to 90 degrees and pitched yeast into it. Well the yeast didn't mix with the water like it usually did, all the granuals were still there. I know a lot of people have had problems with this yeast so instead of taking a chance I rehydrated a backup US -05 that I have.

Just curious what was up with the Notty that I had. Thanks.

This is what the bad Notty looks like when it is proofed. This happened to me, only I didn't rehydrate it. I just sprinkled it in the fermentor. Luckily I had a backup pack of US-05. I've learned my lesson since then to always rehydrate dry yeast and simply avoid Notty.

If you read the Notty recall threads, you'll find that the Notty not mixing into solution was unable to ferment or had extremely long lag times and lackluster fermentations.

This is what the bad Notty looks like when it is proofed. This happened to me, only I didn't rehydrate it. I just sprinkled it in the fermentor. Luckily I had a backup pack of US-05. I've learned my lesson since then to always rehydrate dry yeast and simply avoid Notty.

If you read the Notty recall threads, you'll find that the Notty not mixing into solution was unable to ferment or had extremely long lag times and lackluster fermentations.

That is what I figured. Thanks for the response!

Couldn't have read my mind any better +1

Back