Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry yeast or not Dry yeast that is the question!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
RedOctober
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dry yeast or not Dry yeast that is the question!

I see that dry yeast is usually cheaper and has a longer shelf life than its tubed fresh cousin.

I assume that the tubed stuff must be alot better.

Does anyone have an opinion either way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
SRTBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It depends on what style you want to make. If it doesn't need a specialty yeast for a certain flavor go with the dry.

Di etna beera?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There's noting wrong with dry yeast. I think of them as an all-purpose yeast that do well in most Ales. Liquid yeasts are only better because there are a lot more liquid varieties so you can fine tune your beers or more accurately nail a certain style.. For clean tasting Ales dry yeast is as good as any liquid.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

From what I have read you can only make starters from liquid yeast. Dry yeast you just have to rehydrate and pitch. It seems that starters will get your fermentation going quicker than just pitching directly.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
kaptk2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
From what I have read you can only make starters from liquid yeast. Dry yeast you just have to rehydrate and pitch. It seems that starters will get your fermentation going quicker than just pitching directly.
Why can't you make starters from dry yeast? It is the same thing that is in liquid yeast once it is rehydrated or am I missing something?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I primarily use dry yeast. Safale US-05, S-04 and Danstar Nottingham are all good dry varieties. I you want to make an ale that one of these yeasts work for then the dry yeast is a good option. Once you move outside a basic English (S-04 or Nottingham) or American (US-05) then you will usually get considerably better result from the many liquid varieties available. Due to the wide variety of liquid yeast you have much more choice in the character you want from the yeast. Even within American or English ales there are different characteristics you can find based on the different yeast.

An 11g dry yeast packet has many more yeast cells than a liquid pack. Due to the large number of yeast cells making a 1 liter starter with a dry packet is detrimental and a 2 liter provides no real benefit. There is just not enough food for the numbers. In addition it is cheap and easy to add a second packet if 1 is not enough.

For liquid tubes or packs starters are advisable. They provide a chance to increase the yeast population and get them active. Both Whitelabs vials and Wyeast Activator packs provide about the same number of yeast cells and both benefit from starters. The Smack Pack is not a starter and does not replace one.

So for basic ales dry yeast are an easy and cost effective way to brew. When you want to brew more exotic styles or want to fine tune your brewing liquid yeasts provide many more choices.

Craig

Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
Its not that you can't make a starter with dry (you do it just the same way), but that packets of dry yeast have a greater starting cell count so you generally don't need to. In a rare occasion that you would want to make a bigger bear with dry yeast, it is cheap enough to just buy a second packet and pitch both.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There are a lot of strong opinions each way. It's really a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that with the most commonly used varieties, mainly for British and American ales, dry yeast provides a great flavor profile and offers the price advantage. It's also a bit easier to store, which is a good thing since they're used most often.

When you get into the specialty yeasts, the variety afforded by liquid yeasts win. The opinions I've read about the "specialty" varieties of dry yeast leaves much to be desired.

I used to use liquid yeast exclusively but I've been finding that I'm actually liking the simplicity of dry yeast much more than the variety of the liquid.

You can make good beer with either, so depending on your other needs (cost, space, ease, et cetera) your mileage may very. Try out both, you certainly won't be "wasting" a batch by pitching one or the other!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done three lagers, two with dry yeast and one with a starter of White Labs. In all cases I followed Jamil's pitching calculator recommendations (as I do with every brew), oxygenated with an O2 rig, and fermented religiously in the middle of the yeast's optimal temp range. I'll never use dry lager yeast again. It's crap. The beer barely passes for beer. Only reason I didn't dump them was because I'm waiting to see if they get drinkable with age. OTOH, my White Labs fermented Helles is so good I wish local competition season wasn't over so I could score a medal or two.

Flip to the ale side.. I rarely use anything BUT dry yeast. For Belgians I use Wyeast or White Labs and do starters. Safale US-05 and S-04 are the most common yeasts I use. I plan to try K-97 (a Kolsch yeast) soon for a lager-like ale fermented at cool temps. I haven't tried Notty yet since it has been unavailable for so long, but I will use it going forward for my hoppy beers (pale ales, IPAs) now that it's back on the shelves since many swear by it for dry, hoppy beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Its not that you can't make a starter with dry (you do it just the same way), but that packets of dry yeast have a greater starting cell count so you generally don't need to. In a rare occasion that you would want to make a bigger bear with dry yeast, it is cheap enough to just buy a second packet and pitch both.
Dry yeast are dried right after they have built up their energy reserves. Depending on the age of your liquid yeast the yeast have used up some, or even most, of their reserves and need to be replenished with oxygen and fresh thin wort before they are ready do ferment 5 gallons.

For the 9-9-9 at 1.119, I pitched 2.5 packages of Safale which is equivalent to 5 very fresh vials of White Labs. (The other .5 pkgs went into my partigyle ale)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply