Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Yeast - No Hydration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
buhay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismedeiros88 View Post
Here's a link to Craigtube about the debate of stirring in or sprinkling.
Craig knows all
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
We can have an even longer debate about craigtube and his advice
True, so true.

What everyone's trying to tell you, OP, is that it just doesn't matter one way or another (to the yeast, at least). This is an age old debate, and will likely never really be solved. When I use dry, really, it depends on if I remember, or care to bother, rehydrating. I'd say it goes about 50/50, and I cannot for the life of me see an upside (or a downside) to rehydrating or not rehydrating. I also read a lot and the only thing I can find that states anything concrete about rehydrating in water vs. wort (cuz really you're rehydrating whether you're rehydrating or not, cuz the wort is wet. ) is that, due to osmotic pressure on the cell walls or something, some of the yeast can die off when pitched dry into wort. Some studies estimate "up to 50% loss" in viability, some far less. The answer, pitch two packs of dry. Or don't. It really doesn't matter. Long story not so long, either way you go, you'll make beer. There's far more important concerns in home brewing than hydrating yeast in wort vs. in water.

Oh, and intermingled in between the rare good points that Craig makes in his videos is a bunch of absolute nonsense. I follow him on YouTube, and enjoy his vids quite a bit, but I've always thought the poor guy would serve himself (and many of his followers) very well if he would just pick up a home brewing book and read it.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Hammy71 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

+1 on above you will make beer either way. Fermentation temp is far more important to me.

While I under stand the concept of rehydrating yeast I can't quite wrap my head around how dumping 85-90 degree yeast into 65 degree wort is better than just sprinkling it in dry. I have jumped from a hot tub to a cold pool before.... Its quite a shock.

OK I know you let it cool first so chill everyone. I thought that was funny but oh well. Anyway I'm going to continue to hydrate in my wort if I use dry yeast mainly because I just forget until its time to pitch. Guess sometimers is kicking in ( hope it don't turn into alhiemers!)

Edited because peeps took me to serious.

Brew On!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem135 View Post
While I under stand the concept of rehydrating yeast I can't quite wrap my head around how dumping 85-90 degree yeast into 65 degree wort is better than just sprinkling it in dry. I have jumped from a hot tub to a cold pool before.... Its quite a shock.
I don't want to take either side in this debate. As noted earlier, regardless of whether you rehydrate the yeast or not, you'll make beer. I simply want to point out that if you are going to go to the trouble of rehydrating, you should really be letting the yeast slurry cool to within 10 degrees of the wort temperature before pitching. Otherwise, the yeast absolutely goes through the same kind of shock you feel when jumping from the hot tub into a cold pool.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good point. I mostly do liquid yeast and starters myself. I have only rehydrated one of the few dry yeasts I have used and by the time I pitched it was probably about 70°

Brew On!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem135 View Post
+1 on above you will make beer either way. Fermentation temp is far more important to me.

Who says that you're supposed to simply dump 85-90*F rehydrated yeast slurry into 65*F wort? I've never seen anyone here suggest doing that.

You first must slowly adjust ("attempurate") it to within 10*F of the wort by mixing small amounts of the cooler wort into the slurry and let it sit a few minutes. Normally, this takes three additions to accomplish.

While I'm convinced that rehydrating dry yeast gives you the best cell count (based on what Dr. Clayton Cone says), next time I use some I may skip the extra effort and simply sprinkle 2 packs straight into the wort since it's pretty darn inexpensive.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Ster
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I have never rehydrated.

I sprinkle on the top of the wort. Wait 10 minutes. Spray star san on a wire whisk. And mix it around a little.

I don't see any point to adding it to water first for a short time. Plus my wort has 5 gallons of water in it already. And if it kills some yeast, I have about 3 inches of trub on the bottom that looks like they did just fine procreating.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I edited my previous post. Maybe you will like it better

Brew On!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #19
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Rehydrate gets my vote

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply